First let me say that my oven is clean again! I did it last night in case the baking bug bit again today (it didn't). It's shiny and beautiful once more. Which makes me ponder why, in the twenty-one years I've owned this stove, I've only used the self-clean three times and two of those were in the past month. And don't kid yourself that it was shiny clean all those years!
Ponder Two: Kathy and Hallie both commented on my last post about family recipes and asked if we had any. None. I think I've mentioned this before, but my mom's dad came from Norway in 1906 when he was twenty years old. I don't think recipes were something he would have brought with him. (Smile) He married Grandma in 1920 when he was thirty-four and she was twenty. Very common for male immigrants as they worked to establish themselves before beginning a family. Grandma was half Russian (mother) and half German (father). So why were there no recipes in mom's collection from Great-Grandma or Grandma? I think they were both instinctive cooks and didn't bother with recipes.
Ponder Three: Christmas traditions. I grew up with very few. The Christmas tree was about the only Christmas decoration we had with the exception of displaying Christmas cards as they came in. (Back in the fifties and sixties, everyone pretty much sent cards, even people right in town that you were likely to see on your way to get the mail.) I'm sure the fact that both my parents grew up during the depression had a lot to do with the lack of Christmas traditions in their young lives, and carried over into my young life.
But we all know Christmas traditions are alive and well at my house. So where did it all come from? I'll tell you. From my long-time pal Kathy's house. Buddies since kindergarten, I was often in her house during all seasons, but at Christmastime, her house was positively magical. A huge tree, covered with amazing handcrafted ornaments. Christmas cookies and candies. The list goes on. I loved every glimpse of it and when I got my own home, began to do the same.
Enough of the pondering. No photos today because how do you take a picture of pondering? A furrowed brow? A quizzical pucker? Nah! ♥
I find the traditions at Christmastime—including the gift giving to adults who can get their own gifts, a necessity during these dark months. A lot of my interests are outdoors and my spirits suffer in the dark, gloomy, months, but the holidays really help.
ReplyDeleteI must probe on these traditions: Did your parents put up Christmas lights outside? Did you have a certain meal that you enjoyed on the Eve or day of?
No, no outside lights; however the tree usually stood in front the large windows on the front of our house and so could be seen from the outside. Our dinner was always on Christmas day and as I recall, always turkey with all the trimmings. One tradition Mom had was to start the meal with a seafood cocktail, shrimp for John and me and oyster for the grownups. She even had special cocktail glassware and had cocktail forks as part of her silver set.
DeleteI remember your tree in front of the big picture window. Why did you and John have shrimp instead of oysters? I love shrimp, but I can't swallow oysters -- literally. Daddy tried to make me, and it ended badly.
DeleteYou are right on, Kathy. John and I couldn't even look at the oysters, but we both loved shrimp. I think he eats them now, but I still don't.
DeleteChris, when you were a little girl, you said you were going to have Christmas just like my mother -- "Christmas, even in the bathroom." Mother loved that! And I am so pleased that you have put your own unique spin on your Christmas house. It's lovely, quiet, and inviting.
ReplyDeleteI struggled to establish traditions within my own family, and that's why I focus on Grandma Ina's Christmas celebration. It's something I can do.
Yes, your mom was my inspiration. And I remember being there at least once on the day Nina came and she and your mom made Christmas treats. I'll try and remember to blog about my beginnings as a Christmas baker tomorrow.
DeleteAgain, Chris, you have touched on many topics here. Grandpa Portfors was 11 years Grandma's senior. He said he taught her all she knew about cooking. She was a good cook, but haphazard in measuring. And Mother's ideas for the traditional Christmas experience were inspired by her first mother-in-law, Naomi Walrath, rather than her own mother. I have ornaments on my tree today that came from Grandma Walrath. And the idea for goodies were from her as well. Her maiden name was Jacques. Her parents emigrated from France.
ReplyDeleteSo interesting that it was Grandma Walrath you inspired your mom! Thanks for sharing that.
Delete