Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Just Checking In

After yesterday's post, I decided I would see if I could do a post each day until Christmas.  I imagined lively words, some photos, and generally an update as to our preparations for the Big Day.

Today I began in earnest, getting out quilts, wall hangings, and table runners.  These things are all stored upstairs on shelves in the boys' room on shelves in one of the closets.  I have quite a number of all three items to spread throughout the house and it takes some time to take down the Americana and put up the Christmas.  (And why does it seem like I just took them down?)

Yesterday I swapped out my regular dishes for the Christmas set, trotting up and down the hall to the cupboards where they are stashed the rest of the year.  When I was little, I dreamed of having Christmas dishes and I love that my dream came true.  We use them all month and well into January.  They make me smile.

However, I believe I may have mentioned in the past that I'm a very linear person, not a good multi-tasker.  And yesterday proved to be a case in point.  While swapping dishes, I was watching a movie on my kitchen TV (The Intern with Robert DeNiro which I hadn't seen before), while also making a pumpkin pie with some leftover pumpkin.  That's three things at one time.  The pie paid the price.  I reset the timer for forty-five minutes when the first fifteen minutes were up at 425°, but forgot to turn the oven down to 350°. When the final timer rang, I was shocked to see that the crust was a very, very, very dark brown at the edges and then I noticed the black spots on the pumpkin filling.  Then I realized what I had done.  I assumed the pie was a loss, but we tried it (minus the edge crust!) and it wasn't bad.  Not great, but not bad. 


Apparently pumpkin pie is very resilient.   ♥

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate that you confessed about the pie. These things happen from time to time. As an elderly acquaintance once said, "I would chock it up to age, but things happened when I was young, too." I'm glad it was edible even so.

    I'm sure your house is lovely. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I'm no multi-tasker. Every now and then I try, with the usual results. However, hope springs eternal! You'd think I'd eventually learn. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I just have to multi-task to get through everything I think I have to do. And whatever happens, it's okay. I forgive myself and go on. Last night I made rice pudding to use up some Winco milk we didn't like, and it turned out stiff and sticky and I followed the directions explicitly. I will toss that recipe.

      I'm having fun here on your blog.

      Delete
    3. I have a rice pudding recipe, very simple, that I make in the pressure cooker. It doesn't even have any eggs in it, but we love it.

      Glad you're having fun with me!

      Delete
  2. About pie: nothing some ice cream or whipped topping can’t fix! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I add whipped topping, but Dan is not a fan of it or real whipped cream. He ate his plain, as always, and said it was good!

      Delete
    2. Mike doesn't care for the whipped toppings either. In fact, he would just as soon have cake without frosting. To my taste, cake needs some sort of topping, maybe pie not so much.

      Delete