Friday, December 4, 2020

Christmas in the Dining Room


It's only two o'clock and I've remembered! The dining room is pretty much ready to celebrate the days leading up to Christmas so I thought I'd feature it today.  I'll try to remember to take a picture of the table all set for Christmas dinner when the time comes.  It's very festive, if I do say so myself, with the Christmas dishes, crystal, shiny flatware, and red plaid accented table coverings.  

So, to commence!  Here's a long view of the room.


My sweetie made all the furniture with the exception of the chairs, which I would love to replace.  Some day.

And a closeup of the left wall.


The Bible on the dough box belonged to Dan's grandmother, Aletha Miller. It's open to Luke Chapter 2.  I made the counted cross stitch St. Nicholas's years and years ago and I talked about them in this post

Here's the table for now.


It's not a large table; it was built for the house we lived in at the time and worked just fine until we added in-laws and grandchildren.  Dan solved the problem by building a much larger plywood top that we drop on so that we can easily fit ten or more around.  The only issue?  Dan doesn't build anything that isn't sturdy, and it takes hardy sons, brothers, or grandsons to bring it in and put into place.  Just part of the dinner fun!

And the hutch.  Again, built for another house, but it might as well have been custom made for this house, it fits so perfectly.


The candle on the right is one of those battery operated ones and it has a timer on it.  I smile every evening when I notice it glowing about five o'clock.  

And the little shelf next to the hutch.


Hmm, looks like I chopped off the top of the candle.  Oh well!  Dan turned the wooden holder and of course, built the shelf.  The little Hummels were ornaments I gave my mom years ago, and the plate and little pitchers were gifts from my long-time pal, Kathy, when she lived in Boston for a few years.  I made the wall hanging using my embroidery machine for the words.  

And that's the dining room, all decked out to celebrate the season.  ♥

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tour of your dining room. It's looking very BHG. And I'm so pleased that the little pitchers still find a place in your home.

    I had to laugh about the plywood "table enlarger." Before you said it takes a crew to handle it, I was thinking, "Gosh, I bet that's heavy!" Oh well, it's good you have grandsons.

    Good pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those little pitchers and the plate are always on display on that shelf. I love them. ♥

      Delete
  2. I find so much of interest in this post! I keep thinking about it.

    I have a number of those battery-operated candles on timers, and I love them! Like you, they make me smile. I use them in the windows of the farmhouse. My first ones were electric and it kept me hopping at 4:00 p.m. plugging them all in, and then again at bedtime, unplugging them all. Then I discovered the battery/timer types. What a relief! Worth the cost of the batteries -- and such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is funny because I had these for at least a year before I realized they had this function!! Guess who doesn't read the fine print? LOL

      Delete
  3. Yes, so much in this one! Dan’s work is beautiful! Nick is a good carpenter and he would like to try furniture making. He is thinking of taking a class here in Seattle because, of course, we haven’t got a shop. Maybe someday. I agree with everything said about light timers. I also like to connect lights to Alexa and tell her to turn them on and off. And finally, Hummels. I was admiring a “Baby’s First Christmas” ornament and discovered that the artist was the person who did the Hummel paintings. I forget her name, but she entered the convent and changed her name anyway. She taught art classes and Hitler apparently despised her work (all according to Wikipedia).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, thanks! I'll pass your compliments on to Dan. I love his work, too. We are fortunate to have a wonderful workshop for him at this house. Before he worked in small spaces in the basements of a couple of houses and in the front end of the garage (with the cars pulled out) in another. I hope Nick can find a place to take classes and work. He does indeed do wonderful carpentry work!

      Delete