Friday, December 18, 2020

Just a Week Until Christmas!

A week from today we will have opened all the presents and by now will be laying around, sated from leftovers and cookies.  Some will be napping, others playing with new toys (and no matter the age, some presents will definitely be "toys"), and others still trying to get the puzzle completed. 

I feel like I have most things done and am pondering any last minute fun things to make or give.   So far no brilliant ideas have emerged.  I have yet to wander any stores, so I might do that.  We'll see. I am out of coffee creamer so that will necessitate a trip to Safeway in a short while or, as I told Dan, tomorrow morning will not be pretty. Sometimes they have interesting things stuck in out of the way places that are gifty.  

I pondered whether to put the recipe for the Puddin' Head gingerbread on here, but a request for it lets me know some are interested.  I got the recipe from a student's mom the spring of 1985 when I took over a classroom in Clarkston for half a year. The student brought me cookies now and then. I really liked this one so her mom was happy to share.  It's called Puddin' Head gingerbread because (gasp) it uses a box of Jello brand cooked butterscotch pudding mix.  Yes, a mix is part of the recipe.  Gives great flavor, more of a spice cookie rather than a true deep gingerbread.  

Puddin' Head Gingerbread

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c brown sugar
1 (3 1/2 oz) regular (not instant) butterscotch pudding mix
1 egg
1 2/3 c flour
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Cream butter, brown sugar, and pudding mix.  Add egg; beat well.  Add dry ingredients and chill 10-15 minutes.  Roll out on floured surface to 1/4" thick; cut. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes. If using large cutters, increase time to 10 minutes.  

I usually double the recipe because they are one of my son-in-law Eric's favorite cookies.  Oh, who am I kidding? We all love them! I don't even decorate them, they are good as is.  ♥

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe. We will try it this year! I'm adding butterscotch pudding to my list right now.

    I hope you enjoy these special days until Christmas. And then, I hope you enjoy the special days after Christmas and into the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, right back at you! And I hope you like the cookies. A single recipe should be just right for your gang.

      Delete
    2. Albertsons (aka Safeway) did not have butterscotch pudding -- neither instant nor cooked. I stopped at a small neighborhood market, and they had instant, no cooked. Unfortunately, I've finished shopping. I'll ask Hallie to look for it. I also couldn't find apple butter anywhere. What is the world coming to?

      Delete
    3. Our Winco had plenty. If Hallie gets close to one, I think she'll find some.

      Delete
    4. I'm just not sure I can keep being an Albertsons customer.

      Delete
    5. They often do seem to be out of things you want to buy. I'm thankful for our Winco, and that's for certain.

      Delete
    6. Well, they weren't out of the pudding. They don't carry it. There was no place for it on the shelf. Ours is a small store, and I think they treat it like a stepchild.

      Delete