I seem to spend a lot of time in my kitchen. Dan has never eaten cold cereal so a hot breakfast it is each day. From the start of the day until evening, I am probably in the kitchen more than another other room in the house, unless I'm on a sewing mission. Decorating my kitchen happens with each season, but never so much as for Christmas. These are new photos, but may be very similar to ones I've posted in past years.
The cookbook cupboard Dan made me some years ago is my favorite spot of all. The Jim Shore trees and Santa just make the top and were gifts from Ann at past Christmases.
The broom is many years old, probably dated, but I still love it. I made it probably forty years ago. The calendar is a Susan Winget one, the same artist who did the illustrations for the book in my Bear Corner pictured a few days ago. The snowman platter was a gift from Bruder Bear and Karen, and under it, if you click on the photo to enlarge it, is a garland of little angels, a gift from Susan Boehne, a teacher friend of mine. The wooden mitten on the door knob was made by Cyndie McCabe, another long-time friend and former neighbor. I get the best gifts!
These little snowmen, perched by my sink, were also a gift, made by a former assistant principal at the school where I taught. So cute!
And on the wall in the breakfast nook is a quilt I made from a Country Threads pattern, called Uncle Santa, also many years old.
Even my stove gets a little decorating. I put my lovely dark green Staub dutch oven on the back burner, put an appliqued towel on the oven handle, and park an adorable snowman timer next to it. Those red spatulas in the utensil crock fit right in, too!
And last, here is the breakfast nook table.
Excellent! You are lucky to have such a perfect space for decorating and to have collected things you love. It all has a lovely holiday feel -- and I'm inspired.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I go on a rant about the strange shape of my kitchen and its 'workability', but you're right--it's a great space for decorating!
DeleteWell, there you have it! Decorability over workability. I think kitchens are often awkward.
DeleteThis is a great post, but I'm still stuck on BREAKFAST! So, even when you were both working, you made a hot breakfast? Is it often something quick like a bagel or toast?
ReplyDeleteOver here, we're pretty much on our own for breakfast and lunch and coordinate for dinner together. I usually have steel cut oats for breakfast and maybe once during the weekday I'll whip up a french toast for myself and scramble the remaining egg batter. If I'm feeling generous I'll make some for Nick, too. haha
The hot breakfast caught my attention, too. I am not a breakfast chef. For one thing, I'm not ready to eat first thing in the morning. For another, I'm not a hot cereal fan, so when Mike decided he wanted hot cereal, I told him he was on his own. We both rely on breakfast for fiber.
DeleteBut when we're at the farm and breakfast is a festive occasion, I participate.
Love your comments about my fixing breakfast. Yes, I did it all the years we both worked, and it was what I was used to, so didn't bother me. Dan was often working 12-hour days so the least I could do was fix his breakfast. What did I fix? Eggs and toast, pancakes (Bisquick was quick!), sometimes muffins I'd made that could be microwaved, and so on. He's never liked hot cereal until I found a wonderful recipe using my Instant Pot. Now he actually asks for it.
DeleteI pretty much roll out of bed hungry, so this hot breakfast sounds wonderful! A great way to start a hard day’s work. :)
Delete