Several of you spotted the treadle sewing machine behind all the boxes in my last picture, so I wanted to assure you that it has a treasured spot and is not usually hidden from sight.
Second, we had Will and Briana over again last night, and I am excited to tell you I triumphed in the dessert department (you may remember my failed attempt at gluten-free cherry crisp last time). I made flourless peanut butter cookies and they were delicious! From some deep recess of my mind, I remembered that my grandmother had made peanut butter cookies when I was about nine or ten and had excitedly shared that this amazing recipe contained no flour. So I Googled flourless pb cookies and found the recipe. Will loved them! Here's the recipe in case you have a gluten-free person over sometime, or a child or grandchild needs a treat for school and has a gluten-free classmate. (We had one in my room last year.)
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
Mix peanut butter and sugars well, then add egg and baking soda and mix two minutes. The mixture will look crumbly, but roll into walnut sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Smash with fork and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
And last, here's a peek at part of my next project:
My house is clean since we had guests last night, so I'm free to stitch! Happy Saturday from The Resort!
Love the fabrics, I am looking forward to seeing what you make!
ReplyDeleteI enlarged the photo so that I could take a good look. I love the little houses. (Houses are a favorite theme of mine.) Is that an old family Bible resting on the treadle?
ReplyDeleteThe recipe looks yummy. I can hardly wait to try it. Isn't it great how you can "google" some recipe or some pattern and come up with what you want? Or sometimes you can't. Still -- what a great resource tool -- and I'm thoroughly addicted.
Sneak Peaks are such fun. I see there's a paper underneath each set of FQs. I'm wondering if maybe they are your patterns for these FQs.
ReplyDeleteHi Chris! I've been reviewing my parents' recipes and happened to find two variations on the one you posted. The first is from The Washington Water Power Company Family Gazette -- you know, the little bulletin full of tips that used to come in our WWP statements and made it almost tolerable to pay your bill. The ingredients are 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 egg, and dash of vanilla. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 for 10 minutes.
ReplyDeleteThe second recipe came from my Aunt Ethel and calls for 1 cup sugar, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 large egg. Makes a very stiff batter. Drop by spoonfuls on lightly oiled cookie sheet and press down. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes; watch carefully as they burn easily. Cookies will look underbaked at 10 minutes but are done. Aunt Ehtel notes that this recipe was given to her by Thelma Hill Irwin in Salem, Oregon, in June, 1976.
I think I like the idea of adding a little baking soda -- maybe the vanilla, too.
Kathy, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner--brought the grandsons home from church and didn't get on the computer until tonight. First, yes, that is an old family Bible. It was Dan's paternal great-grandparents and dates from the 1880's. They were married in Scotland and came to America with their oldest children before Dan's grandfather was born in 1890.
ReplyDeleteWhen I Googled the recipe for the cookies I also found one without baking soda that included the vanilla. I decided to go with the baking soda one. I think you might have the right idea with using both, although the cookies were delicious just as they were. Hmm, I wonder if Granny found the recipe in the WWP Gazette? I used to love getting it, too. Those WWP home economists did bring a little joy to the power bill. :-)
Most people are busy on the weekends. The beauty of it is that it doesn't matter when (or if) comments are answered. I just wanted to tell you that I tried the flourless peanut butter cookie recipe you used last night and they are very good. I like the brown sugar flavor. I was surprised -- I thought they would be more like candy than cookies.
ReplyDeleteDo you think George Washington Carver knew about this recipe?