But on to today's subject: my sewing room. Or as Dan refers to it, my "studio". When we purchased this house ten years ago, I designated the second main floor bedroom as my sewing room. Then several years ago, my parents went through a year when they each had both knees replaced. Yup, four new knees in one year. The non-surgery parent stayed with us and both stayed the night before the surgery. This worked out fine until Dad had his second surgery just six weeks following his first. No stairs for him, so the basement guest bedrooms were out. After some thinking, we decided to move the twin beds upstairs rather than the queen bed in the other bedroom. That way when grandsons stayed over without parents, they'd be just across the hall from us instead of a floor away. This move meant my sewing room would now be downstairs. Unintentionally this also meant it would go into a much larger room. Score!
As you know, I began my sewing on Mom's Singer, in its cabinet, in the living room of the house I grew up in. When Dan and I were first married, we lived in an 8'x35' trailer so I sewed on the little kitchen table. In our first real house, I sewed on the table in the little dining nook off the living room and then moved to the laundry room in the basement where Dan built me a wonderful sewing area. Unfortunately, it was built-in and when we moved, it stayed. We learned a valuable lesson: sewing cabinets need to be free standing. He built me a nice sewing center in our next house, and we were able to take it with us when we moved to a new town, and it's become the center of the much larger area I use now.
This is the view from the door into my sewing room. The Brother sits on my original sewing cabinet, to the right is a long table Dan built to match. It slides into the corner and holds my trusty Pfaff and my serger. While everything looks a bit scrunched in the photo, I can easily move from one machine to the other.
My 200/730 sits on a quilting table I purchased several years ago. It has the extra leaf which folds out on the back and has the lift for raising and lowering the machines. I have plexiglass surrounds for both the Brother and the Pfaff, and Dan cleverly made a wooden piece so the Bernina fits down in. Notice the little stand to the left--Dan made it to hold my embroidery threads, manuals, and extra stabilizers. It has wheels so I can move it around. It's so handy for sorting threads when I embroider, and then it's perfect to turn in place when I'm quilting or sewing on bindings to help hold the bulk of the quilt.
My Handi-Quilter fits into this same room. It wouldn't fit in the upstairs sewing room and so I was using it in the family room where it was not a happy fit. Having everything in one room is wonderful and I love it. I also love having its table for laying out fabrics.
This last picture is of a long table I use for sorting, um, piling things when I get creative. It's also the place where others can set up machines and sew. My daughter usually sets up two machines when she comes to sew and we have a blast visiting and watching chick flicks while we stitch away.
Thanks for hanging with me on this long post and visiting my sewing room!
My favorite kind of post! I LOVE seeing other sewing rooms! Yours looks wonderful!
ReplyDeleteIs Dan for hire? Someday I might need some custom furniture. :) It sounds like you and your daughter have some fun times sewing. Makes me wish I lived closer to home to be crafty with my Mom.
ReplyDeleteI am TOTALLY like CJ - I just love seeing other sewing rooms.
ReplyDeleteWOW - even your HQ fits in the sewing room - how awesome. I love the idea that everything is in ONE space, one room. The only thing that doesn't fit in my sewing room is my HQ, I have it set up at full length (11.5") in hubbie's office. Oh, it would fit in my sewing room if I didn't have the daybed in there but I want the daybed for the dogs to lay on - AND ME - when I want to sleep in there if hubby is snoring...LOL
I LOVE your sewing space!
And Chris - "that Pfaff" is that a 1371? If it is - I have one too - Pfaff made them for their 125 year anniversary. MIne still runs too!!
As one who has visited your sewing room, I totally agree that you "scored" when that room became your sewing room -- nice size, window for natural light, next to family room and close to Dan's shop. It might mean a little running up and down stairs to check your bread, but that probably doesn't happen every day. And Dan, of course, not only has the ability to see what you need but the abiity to make it happen. We don't all have that.
ReplyDeleteCJ, thanks for stopping by. I love to see others sewing rooms, too, and yours always inspires me. :-)
ReplyDeleteHallie, lately Dan has been so busy with other things that even I have trouble getting him to work on projects. I'm thinking of having a friend tell him that there's this lady who needs some work done... Ha ha! (But seriously, I have thought about it!)
Cindy, my Pfaff is a 1475 and I love it. I used it today to piece a simple runner. I love the built-in even feed foot. It's probably much like your 1371. And a daybed!! I'd love one!! But I'd have to knock out a wall and, well, see my comment to Hallie. :-)
Kathy, I think having my sewing room in the basement is a good thing--running up and down the stairs is my only exercise these dark, wet days.
Actually, I must say that I am very blessed by all Dan's creativity. He's working on some projects for his consulting gig and he loves that. He'll get back into the workshop when he has the time.
LOL -- When I first read through these comments I didn't notice that Hallie was the author of #2. I was feeling a bit envious that "someone" wanted to be closer to her mother so that they could do crafts together -- and then on second look I found it was my own daughter. Well, I could use her. She tends to get things done. I can hear her now, "Do you really think you should start that project? Don't you think you should finish the quilt and three of the afghans first?" And she's great with the embroidery software.
ReplyDeleteOh my, you totally cracked me up, Kathy! I can't stop laughing! Now you know! :-)
ReplyDelete