I teach embroidery classes at the local Bernina shop, so I stop by the shop often to see what's new. One day in November I was looking around and saw the ruffler attachment. It led to a conversation with a friend who was working the counter about how it worked. She said to give it a try, so I popped it on a 730 and played. It was fun! I almost bought it but decided to wait a day (it's not cheap). When I got home, there was a little niggle in the back of my mind, and a dim memory came to me. Did I own one for the Pfaff? I dug through a couple of drawers, and sure enough, there was a box and a special book of instructions I had ordered from Nancy's Notions years ago. It had come, looked intimidating, and since I was short on time due to teaching, I had stuck it in the drawer and forgotten about it. Fresh from playing with the one at the shop, I attached it and it worked!!
Another confession. I've had the Pfaff for almost twenty years, and know it like the back of my hand, so I've continued to use it for buttonholes. Haven't tried the 200/730. I know, how difficult could it be? But I'd have to look at the instruction book. That takes time. It was much easier to just go to the Pfaff.
The Sunday before Christmas, I found a very cute design for hand embroidery on Gail Pan's blog. I printed it out, traced it on some osnaburg, and stitched it out that night. I decided it would make a darling pillow, so last weekend, I decided to slay some buffaloes. I made the ruffle on the Pfaff with the ruffler attachment and used the 200/730 to make the buttonholes to fasten the back after the pillow was inserted. The automatic buttonhole attachment worked perfectly, and I loved how I could measure the button on the screen and set the size. I know, I know. I could have been doing it for the last four years... Sigh.
So, here is the pillow. I'm crazy about it!
Who said buffalo are getting scarce?
Absolutely darling Chris! Buttonholes on the Berninas are a dream to do! I'll never forget the first time I tried one, I just knew buttonholes were waaaaay beyond my skill level... turns out it couldn't be easier!
ReplyDeleteI only recently used my ruffler myself this year, what an amazing tool they are!
I have buffaloes living with me, and I have been inspired to add them to my list of things to tackle in the New Year. It includes a lot of manual reading in order to learn and practice techniques with the organ, the camera, and my sewing machine. It comes down to detailed following of instructions. Maybe I should just get a kid to come and live with me for a while and show me the ropes with all this stuff. I also have many UFOs and those are also on my list. Good post -- good job!
ReplyDeleteIt turned out WONDERFUL!!!!!! Yes, I said WONDERFUL!!!
ReplyDeleteSo what's next with that Bernina?
CJ--I'm looking for more ruffle projects! :-)
ReplyDeleteKathy--your idea about having a kid come might be a good idea! I know they sure don't seem to be intimidated by new things.
Cindy--I'm working on an idea for January's embroidery club. If it all goes together I'll post a picture.