Friday, January 22, 2010

How I Came to Be a Quilter

When I was little, two to be exact, my parents moved to a duplex from their tiny one-bedroom cottage, and I got my first big bed (actually my only big bed as I used it until I was married). They bought me a double bed which could also be used as a guest bed when needed. My blankets were quilts that my paternal great-grandmothers had made. They were old and worn, well used. And they were heavy. To this day I equate warmth on a cold winter night with weight. As I grew older, I became a reader and my favorite books were by Louisa May Alcott and L.M. Montgomery. I was a dreamer and a romantic, and the "olden days" were golden in my dreams. Anything that hinted of days gone by intrigued me. And certainly no one I knew was quilting, so it seemed to be a long-lost art of the past. I made up my mind that someday I would quilt, just like my great-grandmothers whose work kept me warm.

When I got my own home and my own sewing machine, I tried to do a little patchwork, but in the '70's, cotton fabric was hard to find. And the colors, well, if you are old enough to remember the '70's, you know what I mean. I did pick up a couple of the very few quilt books published in those days, and most items were crafty: patchwork vests, placemats, etc. I fiddled, and I played, but I had no idea how to create a real quilt.

In 1985 we moved to our present town and it had a lovely fabric shop that had, be still my heart, quilt fabrics!! A whole row of cotton "calicos" actually labeled "Quilt Fabric". About the same time I met a new friend through church who quilted. Anne was about my age, and she had made several quilts. She offered to teach a class at church using Marilyn Burns' book, Log Cabin in a Day. I signed up.

About two weeks before the class, I was working up a box of peaches and was bitten on my right hand by some type of spider which had set up housekeeping among the peaches. Eventually I ended up at the emergency room and by the time I was through, we had used our extra fun money for not so fun medical expenses. How was I going to get fabric for that quilt? I dug through all my fabric and was able to find enough blue and brown to be able to go. I'm sure some of the fabric was not all cotton, having been purchased with clothing and home dec in mind, but nevertheless, it became part of my first quilt.


I actually hand-quilted this quilt; after all, that's how the great-grandmothers did it. It's not quilted well, but it's held together for all these years. I was on my way!

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and inspiring story Chris! Thank you for sharing, I loved it! And the quilt is wonderful, very nice job for your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great story, Chris -- a much more positive story than mine will be. And even though I'm sorry to hear you couldn't afford the fabric -- well, it worked out anyway. You made do, it turned out, you got your start -- and you and Dan are still solvent today.

    I remember discussing quilts with my mother as I was growing up. Quilting was still done by hand and machine quilting was just not practical. Things have changed -- mostly while I was looking the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like most about your story is your "determination".

    And it all began.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why was cotton hard to find in the 70's? Was everyone too captivated by polyester, or was there crop trouble or perhaps excessive exporting???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all--thanks for your positive comments about my start in quilting. I grew up with many stories about my two great-grandmothers because they had been so instrumental in the raising of my dad and his brother and sister. Although they both died before I was born, they are great inspirations to me. The quilts are long gone, but I have several quilt tops and some lovely knitted and crocheted lace made by them.

    Hallie, you are correct in your comment about polyester. It was the miracle "no iron" solution to fabrics and was at least a percentage of most fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps you would explain why it is that cotton is preferable in quilt making. Of course, there's a lot of cotton now and perhaps not so much cotton polyester blend. When I look at the remnants, I notice a lot of them are cotton.

    My mother's comment on permanent press shirts was that they don't look good unless you iron them and they don't look much better when you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, cotton was the traditional fabric for quilts, and many quilters are "purists". Also, many of the cotton/poly fabrics were/are rather light weight and not beefy enough for a quilt. That or they were too heavy. Didn't seem to be a middle road, at least not back then. And then there's the theory that all fibers should be the same so the quilt wears evenly. I prefer fabric that breathes and cotton fills the bill. I suppose that one could use whatever, all long as they all are about the same weight. The quilt police seem to have lightened up in recent years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't trust the quilt police to lighten up. And I think the basic recommendation is good -- same weight fabrics of the same fiber content. Sometimes I wonder, though, if the lasting quality will be affected that much in the long run.

    ReplyDelete