My early sewing was done by hand and I longed to use the Singer. When I was about eleven, I had to have a number of teeth pulled to make room in my mouth before I got braces. Dad took me to the dentist, and when we came home, as a reward, he opened up Mom's machine and showed me how to use it. Forget my mouth stuffed with gauze--I was in heaven! And thus began a love affair with sewing machines that continues to this day. I've been blessed to have wonderful machines. Mom and Dad got me a Singer Touch and Sew for a wedding present and I used it to make many clothes for both Matt and Ann--it was the era of knits so I was able to make t-shirts, shorts, sweats, etc., as well as dresses and pajamas. It was my therapy! One thing that stayed done, in contrast to the laundry, dishes, and housecleaning. :-)
My next machine was a Viking that had needle up/down, the ability to change needle position, and other amazing features. (Should I tell you I sold the twenty or so pieces of sterling silverware I had to help pay for it? I did and I've never regretted it!) I loved it and kept right on stitching. I used this machine to make my first quilt.
My next machine was a Pfaff 1475. My mother-in-law had always been a Pfaff fan and after she died, I decided to buy one in honor of her. I loved the built-in even-feed foot and it had an amazing number of stitches including some embroidery-like ones. I still have this machine and for certain things, there is nothing better. I will never part with it.
My next purchase was a Deco 600 embroidery machine and it was a gem. That little machine stitched out hundreds of designs with never a whimper. It's pretty much retired now, but I know I could get it out and away it would go. I longed for a bigger stitching field and so purchased a Brother ULT 2002, in part because it came with many Disney designs and took the same embroidery cards the Deco used.
My latest purchase is a Bernina Artista 200, upgraded to a 730. It's a great machine and I plan on using it for a long, long time. It sits out in my sewing room, along with the Brother ULT, the Pfaff, and my Bernina 2000D serger. I also have the Handi-Quilter HQ-16 and am fortunate enough to have space for it in the same room.
I'm a long way from my Mom's trusty Singer 301 in the cabinet in the living room. I know how blessed I am to have these great machines with which I can create anything I can dream of.
Singer, Viking, Pfaff, Brother, Bernina...they all sing my name when they stitch and they're singin' my song!
Pictured above is a table topper I made for my Mom's last birthday. It's called Taco Salad and is in Terry Atkinson's book Let's Do Lunch. I quilted it using the BSR on my 200/730.
What a great little table topper! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your "sewing history" today.... I'm not sure which tickled me more, the teeth or the silver. LOL
ReplyDeleteOh, I love your sewing history. I still have my Pfaff 1371, gave the Pfaff 1471 to DIL and I use my Berninas daily. I upgraded from the Bernina 200 (fully upgraded to 730) to my dream machine, the Bernina 830.
ReplyDeleteI'll add you to my favorites, Chris.
CJ and Cindy--it was fun to write this post--a trip down memory lane with lots of wonderful remembrances. Sometime after I sold the silver, I had some event at my house. My Mom asked why I wasn't using my silver so I told her what I'd done. I think she was shocked, but as I said, I've never regretted it, and silver got so expensive I know I'd never have completed the set.
ReplyDeleteLove the new look of your blog! Such an interesting evolution, each new machine saying something more about your growing skills. I couldn't help but notice that it was your dad who showed you how to use your mother's machine. Not only did he know how to use the machine but he recognized that using it would help you through a trying time.
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy--yes it was Dad. I think Mom was protective of her machine and therefore reluctant to let me use it. Dad decided it was time and just went ahead and did it. He still gets it out and uses it on occasion to hem or repair his jeans. Mom hasn't sewn in years. And you're right--it did get me through a trying time. I couldn't eat, so I stitched all day. :-)
ReplyDelete