Saturday, January 23, 2010

Welcome Back, Winter

This was the view out my front door this morning.



And this is the view in my basement to the left of the stairs,


and to the right.


The good news is that I think all traces of Christmas have been removed from the main floor.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I envy you the snow! It looks so pretty! But.... GASP! You are hiding a treadle in your basement? !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spied the treadle, too! I didn't know you had a treadle. Is it a family heirloom? I want to learn to use mine. I even ordered a book so that I could understand the attachments.

    So, are you saying there's a path through the hallway in the basement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, although it's not usually in hiding. :-) It was Dan's great-grandmother's. When his grandmother died I claimed it. It was purchased about 1889, and last used in 1973 when Dan's grandmother used it to make some pajamas. It's one of those things I want to have Dan go through and fix up for me, but somehow it's gone to the bottom of the list. The cabinet really needs to be striped and redone. I'd love to try sewing on it and I know my mechanically minded grandsons would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, your message must have come through while I was typing an answer to CJ. Yes, you could say there's a path through the hallway. Barely. I went down to finish up and somehow found myself in my sewing room sorting out the closet!! It's looking much better, but the hall looks the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if you have things to the right and things to the left....there is a GOOD thing in all this........you can walk down the middle!!

    See - didn't I make ya smile??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are walking the pathway -- the straight and narrow.

    I have my Grandma Ina's treadle, but it's not as old as yours. It was Ina's second machine -- I'd say about 1915. Mike refinished the top which had suffered water damage and also took the machine apart and cleaned it -- 15 minutes to take it apart, 4 hours to put it back together. I want to learn to use it, but last summer was a lost cause. Besides, I need some simple project for practice. Suggestions? I thought of a big block quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, I've seen patterns for quilts composed of a big quilt block! Just take a 12" block and triple the size and you'd have a 36" block. It could be used for the center of a larger quilt (with borders), or a baby quilt, or a table topper. Sounds like you've come up with the perfect treadle project! Also, pillowcases would be a good project. Just straight seams. (I thought of them because I'm making a new set for our bed today!)

    ReplyDelete