Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Knitting

I have a Longaberger cake basket sitting on the floor next to the loveseat where I always sit. It's full of Sugar 'n Cream cotton yarn in various colors. Whenever I feel the urge, I reach into the basket and pull out my needles and knit a row or two on my newest dish cloth. I love the pattern and have knit dozens of them since I discovered it on the Homespun Living blog (link to main blog on sidebar). Here's a picture of my latest one in progress.


I learned to knit when I was about nine years old. And once again, it was my dad who taught me! I remember sitting in the doorway of the back door between dad's legs, our legs dangling down to the ground because we had no steps yet, as he showed me how.

A few words about my dad. When I was growing up, I had two heroes--my dad and John Wayne, and they were both bigger than life. :-) My dad had been a paratrooper in WWII in the 101st Airborne, the division featured in the Band of Brothers book and mini series. He jumped at D-Day and the invasion of Holland, and was wounded in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. He was one of the original smokejumpers out of Missoula, Montana after the war. He was gruff and tough although he has mellowed through the years. He learned to knit from the grandmother who raised him after his father was killed in a car accident when dad was fifteen months old. (His twenty-three-year-old mother had two older children, and held down two, sometimes three jobs to survive, so relied on both sets of grandparents to help her with the children.)

I guess I was and still am, the proverbial "daddy's girl." As a matter of fact, the father's day card I sent him last year said just that on the front and on the inside it said, "and proud of it!" Mom said dad loved it.

Here's a picture of me, my Bruder Bear, and Dad taken last May just after Dad's eighty-sixth birthday.
.

6 comments:

  1. Love the pic! And your dad (and Mom, too) has every reason to be proud of all your accomplishments, on and off the home field.

    I also love to make dishcloths -- especially gratifying when I need to feel I've accomplished something. But I crochet rather than knit, and the decorative patterns don't make such great cloths. I use the frilly ones as heavy doilies in the kitchen for a decorative touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crochet rather than knit. Always wished I could learn to knit but, alas, no luck.

    Lovely photo, one to cherish for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo and story Chris! I too enjoy knitting dishcloths. I used to knit quite a bit, but it bothers my hands now. When we lived in Germany and rented a basement flat from a German couple, she taught me (via gestures, since I didn't speak German and she didn't speak English) how to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we all love to make dishcloths! Two knitters and two crocheters. They're such satisfying projects--fairly quick to make and then on to another color. And they work so well! My seven-year-old grandson tells his mom they're the best when it's his turn to clean up after dinner and insists on using one.

    Thanks for the comments on the picture. I always say that I'm surrounded by my "Sweet Boys". I'm so blessed by all the guys in my family, from my Dad to the littlest grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah -- what's up with that? No girls. Sometimes I have a fleeting thought that I should make your granddaughter a doll. Then I remember . . .

    Well, if you had a granddaughter, I would make her a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And she would love it! I have dolls in the closet that I bought years ago for when I had granddaughters. Somehow the boys just don't seem to want to play with them... But I love each of my little men and can't imagine life without them, so the dolls can just hang out in the closet. :-)

    ReplyDelete