Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reason for the Season

I read an interesting comment the other day and it's stuck with me: "Next to a circus there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than the Christmas spirit." - Frank McKinney (Kin) Hubbard

And as I've thought about it, I believe it is true. So much hoopla leading up to the day, and actually, not much is related to the real reason for celebrating December 25th. Lots of articles on retailers counting on it to boost sales for the year, a few stories about people helping one another, and even one on celebrating the Winter Solstice. Hmmm to that one. And come December 26th, all is gone. I needed to be reminded that Christmas is not about decorating, baking, buying or getting frazzled (although I confess I do all of those things). It's about celebrating the birthday of Jesus. Peace with God--it doesn't get any better than this, and it's not a one day a year, or even a one month out of a year, kind of thing. So here at Miller's Last Resort we say again, Happy Birthday, Jesus! :-)


We had Christmas with Ann, Eric, Cameron and Keaton last night and I received the pictured books from them. I looking forward to reading what Beth Moore and Priscilla Shirer have to teach me.

2 comments:

  1. You have expressed beautifully and simply here what has been in my thought for the last month. That we must treat Christmas Day as an event that comes and then passes away -- that it must be a deadline -- troubles me. I expect to discuss that at the MWHomestead. I have some long-treasured books and a study plan that help me keep Christmas in my heart.

    I also said "Hmmmmm" to the article on the winter solstice celebration. I just didn't think it belonged in a series of articles on Christmas traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy. The quote that led to this post was at the bottom of a message on my embroidery list. (This person often has a humorous or pithy quote following her name.) I just kept going back to this one and finally felt compelled to write.

    ReplyDelete