Second, the pressure cooker rocks! I can't believe how easy it was to make a wonderful, flavorful bean soup in just a matter of little more than an hour. I did let it simmer the rest of the afternoon, but we could easily have eaten it much sooner. I can't wait to try again.
Third, I just finished mixing up the dough for artisan bread!
It is rising in the kitchen and before I head for bed I'll pop it into the frig. I'm not sure when I'll bake the first loaf as I think we're having Christmas with Ann, Eric and the boys tomorrow night.
And finally, Dan got a nice cow elk this afternoon so we're set for meat for another year! For those of you unacquainted with elk, in my opinion it rivals any beef for flavor. (And I must say, I do love passing up the meat section of the grocery store with its incredible prices.) Dan always does all his own cutting and he is very particular about how its done, but I promise--no pictures of my kitchen in its butchershop mode!
Whoa, that must be some job butchering something the size of an elk! Great time of year to let it hang though! I've never tried elk, I bet it's yummy!
ReplyDeleteHi CJ,
ReplyDeleteYes, it's a huge job but he insists on doing it himself--he is very thorough and very sanitary. The weather has been nice and cold, so perfect for hanging. Funny story--we were in Estes Park, Colorado ten years ago and eating lunch at a rather fancy cafe which featured game. That day? Elk burger for mucho plenty $$. We just cracked up! It is indeed yummy, and lean. Dan says, "Think veal."