Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A New Recipe Tried

Thanks to my friend, Kathy, I get emails from Better Homes and Gardens for the holidays. The other day one came through featuring cookie recipes, so I clicked and checked out a few. One caught my eye, mainly because I actually had all the ingredients and it was for bar cookies. I tried it yesterday, and with a little change or two, it turned out quite yummy. (At least Dan seems to think so as the container is surrounded by crumbs!)

Butterscotch-Toffee Bars

1 package 2-layer-size yellow cake mix
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted (I used margarine)
2 eggs
1 cup cashews or toasted pecans, chopped (I used 1/3 cup pecans and didn't toast)
1 8-oz package toffee pieces (I used half an 8-oz pkg of Heath English Toffee Bits)

Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 15x10x1" pan. Combine cake mix, brown sugar, melted butter, and eggs. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Stir in nuts. Pat dough into prepared pan and spinkle with toffee pieces. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely and cut into bars.

I thought they looked rather, umm, unattractive when I took them out, so I decided to spruce them up a bit. I took two squares of white candy bark, melted them in the microwave, and then used a spoon to drizzle the whole pan before cutting into bars.

Here's a picture of a couple of the finished products. I just asked Dan what he thought of the new cookies and he said, "I love 'em!" There you go, a completely candid evaluation by a very experienced cookie muncher.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I think I know that plate! The Christmas tree with the train set and presents underneath? We have those--perfect for this time of year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your description is correct! Aren't they fun to have? I have the whole set and use them all of December and usually most of January--depending on how energetic I am about putting them away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was delighted to find Pfaltzgraff "Christmas heritage" and began collecting it when my children were little. My mother gave me placesettings until I had twelve dinner plates. I considered the Spode Christmas pattern but it was too expensive for the kind of use I had in mind. I use "Heritage" for my everyday dishes -- just white. That way my everyday dishes coordinate with my holiday dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had the regular white Heritage for years, purchased to go with my Christmas dishes when I didn't have many! I have a complete set of the Christmas dishes now (I just counted 13 dinner plates and 16 dessert plates). Several years ago I fell in love with the Longaberger Woven Traditions Heritage Green and over several Christmases Dan got me the set. I gave the Pfaltzgraff white to Ann as she was tired of (and missing pieces of) her everyday dishes. As a side note, Dan assured me when he got the Longaberger dishes that he knew it wouldn't be my last set of dishes and he was okay with that. My motto: keep the husband, change out the dishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete