Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Dentists and Presents

I went in for my six-month dental checkup this morning. All was well, and I think I've finally overcome my fear of the dentist's chair. After spending many hours of my youth with braces work which included the pulling of four permanent molars to make space, tightening which left me with an aching mouth for a day or two, and impressions which made me gag and resulted in my pulling more than one from my mouth before the proper time, I was indeed a wary patient by the ripe old age of sixteen. Then came eighteen when I wrecked on a motorcycle and broke my left front tooth. We won't go into detail, but it was an ugly scene more than once to get a cap on what was left. And that cap has been replaced several times since. And we definitely won't go into the infection I got after having my wisdom teeth pulled twelve years ago! The good news is that I have very good teeth and haven't had a filling since 1967! I have had to have several crowns on my back teeth that had been the anchors for my braces, as they were my only teeth with fillings and they cracked several years ago. I barely felt a thing, and I am truly thankful! Boy has dentistry come a looooong way.

But on to more fun things. Presents! While I was teaching, Christmas was often late in arriving at our house. So much going on at school, so many things to do at home. There were years when I was wrapping presents late into the night on Christmas Eve, just in time to have them opened Christmas day. No pretty tree laden with packages. And if we're really into confession here, some years when the family arrived, one of the first things they did was help us put up the tree!! They were good sports and swore they enjoyed helping. So, here we are, nine days from Christmas, and not only is the tree up, but I actually wrapped some presents today and they are under the tree! (Did I just heard a faint "Hallelujah" to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus??)

Here is the promised picture of our Christmas tree: A beautiful "woods" tree, smelling of fresh air. It's a grand fir.



And one more picture. The reason for our celebrating. This beautiful nativity is a Jim Shore creation and the details and colors are truly incredible.



Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. Your tree and your nativity are just beautiful! Aren't you having fun with your camera?

    Bless your heart! You surely had a time with the dentist for a while. When I was finishing college, my dentist in our little town told me I should consider having my teeth capped. He scared me to death! Then I didn't see a dentist for a while with resulting problems. When I began to see Mike's dentist after we were married, he said, "Dear, I'm surprised that some dentist in that town didn't convince you that you needed dentures. You and I are going to get along fine as long as you don't ask me to pull your teeth."

    Your comment about the family helping with the tree reminded me of my folk's house on Christmas Eve. Often the first of family to arrive would vacuum and stash away the clutter. And Mother would pull all-nighters to get ready. Probably a lot of people do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the dental commiseration! I can remember sitting in the chair, gripping the arms, with tears running down my face. I'm thankful those days are behind me! And why would your dentist suggest caps? Your teeth have always been so nice and even.

    ReplyDelete