Thunk! Thunk, thunk! Those are the sounds I'm hearing from halfway down the backyard. It's the sound of wood being tossed into his pickup by my eighty-nine-year-old dad as he loads it for Dan to stack. I awoke this morning to the sounds of a conversation and I realized two things: it was 6:30 and the voices belonged to Dan and my dad. That meant Dad left his home about five. He's amazing!
Yesterday we had a little barbecue to celebrate Mom's eighty-seventh birthday which will be on the 6th. Since yesterday was a holiday, it proved to be a good day for us to host a little party which could also be attended by Ann, Eric, and the boys without school or soccer game interference. As the chef, I completely forgot to take any pictures. but Dan did grab my camera and got this cute picture of Gigi and Daniel as he checked out her necklace. (It had a large, round pearl-like bauble on it and Daniel loves "Ball!")
As Mom and Dad were leaving last night, Dad mentioned he might be back this morning to get some wood and sure enough, he came. Point of information: Mom and Dad have a wonderful wood stove in their family room and have burned wood for years to heat their house. In recent years it's been too hard for Dad to get out and cut his own, so my sweetie took it upon himself to begin supplying them. He cuts it in the woods, brings it home, splits it, and then hauls it down to them. Dad likes to help by coming up and getting some of the loads, hence his trip this morning. They're out there having a good time.
Meanwhile, September has arrived and it's a lovely one. Dad and I were talking this morning as I fixed breakfast for him and Dan and we both agreed this is the best month and our favorite. He said he had a beautiful drive up and saw lots of deer. I'm sure he was thinking of all the years he's lived in this country and all the early mornings he's been up and about, seeing the sunrise and the deer head for a spot for the day. This is his ninetieth September!
Fall is here--here's hoping all my readers will have a beautiful one!
What a special day -- or maybe several special days. It's great that your dad enjoyed the early morning drive while daylight dawned and traffic was light. I like those hours myself.
ReplyDeleteSo, I take it your dad unloads the wood when he gets back to town? Even that's a chore, so he's had a couple of busy days, which no doubt he relished. We have an excellent fireplace insert at the farmhouse and a little wood stove at the modular home.
Yes, Dad will unload it. He is good to pace himself and work in the cool times. He has a canopy on his pickup, so when he gets further in, he used a rake to pull the wood to the tail gate so he can get to it more easily.
DeleteWood heat is such a warm and wonderful heat, as you know. I think it feels the best to their bones and keeps them warm and toasty.