Friday, September 14, 2012

It's Smokey Out There!

As beautiful a summer as we've had, those who fight forest fires, or wild fires as they're now called, are not as thrilled with the weather.  Fires are burning in Idaho and Washington; huge fires.  And the smoke is blowing in and laying low.  Yesterday was horrible, and today isn't much better.  


Looks like we live in a wide-open area, doesn't it?  But normally there are hills and a butte in that white area in the center top (you can see what it should look like in this snowy picture here), and if you click on the photo for a larger image, you'll see that it even looks a little "fuzzy" just beyond the fence.  They are warning people to stay inside; Keaton said they couldn't go out for recess yesterday.  The smoke smell is strong, too.  This is amazing, considering how many miles we are from any of the fires.   

Meanwhile, Dan got the last deck chair painted earlier this week, so here is a photo of all our newly refurbished pieces.  They look so good and they finally match!


Dan will be home from his tour tonight and I'll have my beloved Explorer back.  The truck and I have been doing just fine, but I'll be glad to turn it back over to Dan.  

So what's up for the rest of my day?  Starting a new quilt with those fabrics I bought in McCall last month!  I'm excited to start.  

8 comments:

  1. Of course, 30 miles south of you we're in the same situation with the smoke and the impact on our activities. It is not better today. Sometimes I think I can taste the smoke.

    Your deck chairs look great. Good job, Dan!

    I've been quilting my Christmas quilt so that I can start the Halloween quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today seems to be a little clearer--I can actually see a blue tint to the sky when I looks up. I got an email from John yesterday and he says they've had the same for a month.

      Hope your quilting is going well. I started my fall quilt and am hoping to get some more stitching done on it today. Dan got home last night and mentioned this morning that we should do something fun today. We'll see what he has in mind; dinner out would be nice! Then I could sew and sew!

      Delete
    2. When Mike says he wants to do something fun, it's usually a hike and takes hours of my creative time. But, time together is precious.

      My quilting is going well. I tied threads while watching tv, and I learned that quilting must be a cool/cold-weather activity.

      Delete
    3. I did get some sewing done, and I did get dinner out! It was a fun day and a fun date. :-)

      Delete
  2. Did Dan make the end tables and foot stool for your deck? They look very nice, too. It's even been smokey in Seattle. It's not nearly so bad as you describe, but it makes the sunrise pink instead of orange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dan did make the end tables and the foot stool. We've had the end tables for a while, but last summer I realized that I'd really like a foot stool when I sit in the rocker, so he made me that cute one. I love it!

      Still really smokey here, but I think I heard we may be getting some clearer air in a few days. Sunrise? Now that I'm retired, I don't see the sunrise! :-) Unlike your mom, I'm a sleepy head in the morning.

      Delete
    2. It's not that I'm exactly "bright-eyed and busy-tailed" in the morning. I get up for quiet time. As son Clint said, "I get up early so that I can stare at the wall for an hour." Well, I enjoy my moments of quiet reflection for I embark on my day.

      I like your little stool, too. It's great to be able to say, "Honey, I'd like this," and it "magically" appears from his shop. My dad could do that, too.

      Delete
    3. Oh no! That's "BUSHY-tailed," not "busy-tailed."

      Delete