Dan left this morning for Coeur d'Alene and after kissing him goodbye, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Until the phone rang a little after seven. It was Dan telling me he was "broke down" five miles north of Potlatch. I crawled out of bed, pulled on my jeans and a sweater and headed out on my rescue mission. It was a beautiful drive, but I noticed heavy smoke on the horizon to the west. Fires are still burning.
Dan was heading off on another tour when he broke down, so when I met up with him, he unloaded his "company rig" (our old '94 Explorer) and put everything in the one I drive. He explained what had happened on our way back to town: a little doo-hickey (my term) that attaches to the fan belt had come loose causing the belt to come loose. His first indication was loss of power steering and then he looked down at the gauges to see the electrical gauge was dropping, so he pulled off the road and there he sat until I arrived. We are thankful for cell phones!
Back in town, a stop at our insurance agent's office told us we had towing insurance and they sent us to their preferred service where Dan dropped off the keys to the (formerly) "Old Faithful." As Dan drove to our house to drop me off, I told him to take the new Explorer and I'd drive the pickup while he's gone. He had so much stuff to haul, it would never fit into the cab of the truck. He finally agreed, so I'll be cruising town in the pickup for the rest of the week. I told him I'd certainly be stylin' in my 4-wheel drive muddy truck. :-)
And here's the sicko, parked right where the very nice tow truck driver placed it about forty-five minutes ago. Dan says he can fix it this weekend.
I've tried to talk Dan into a new truck, or a newer Explorer for his work, but he loves both of these vehicles and says he'll drive them until they're worn out. As long as he can plug in his XM radio and listen to the oldies, he's good to go.
Me, too. Vroom., vroom...
Me, too. Vroom., vroom...
I know all about the "drive them till they drop" philosophy. I tried gently suggesting that it might be time to replace the Dakota, not to mention the '75 RAM. And when it comes to a riding lawn mower, when one dies, Mike replaces with another oldie, preferring them to the new ones. I think these guys are mechanics and having something new just doesn't appeal to them.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll get along fine in the pick-up.
Oh yeah, the truck and I are fine. It's just a little big for the narrow side streets around here, especially when schools are getting out, which is where I found myself while trying to return library books (due tomorrow) after watching Daniel this afternoon. Mission accomplished, however, with no scraped paint. I love trucks, just like them better on the open road. :-)
DeleteDan says this truck is his dream truck and he likes it just as well as when he bought it brand new. I can't quibble with that.
I don't think it's the mechanic in Dad, I think it's the adventurer! Never a dull moment when things break down and start fire!
DeleteI was very sentimental about my last car, a 2000 Jetta that I bought in 2004. My issue is that I panic when there are problems. I don't feel the same about my present car, but I'm not so worried about mechanical problems.
What do you drive now, Hallie?
DeleteThe old Explorer truly has been "Old Faithful". We bought it new in December of '94 and about the only things we've done do it were replace the hubs and put on a new muffler. We can't complain. The truck, too, has been a good one. The Explorer I always drive is my most loved car--I always say I'll drive it forever. I love how it rides, how it steers, and it has zip. And it's 4-wheel drive so I feel confident on snow and ice. I guess I know how Dan feels.
Last year I upgraded to a 2008 Jetta. :) It's so nice to sit in a car and already know where all the controls are located. I wasn't ready for drastic change, I guess. I recently got a rental car that was one of those Fiat 500s and I was pleasantly surprised! Such a cute car, easy to park, and easy to reach things in the back seat. Maybe next time...
DeleteOoo, I saw an adorable little car today and managed to see that it was a Fiat. I don't know if it was a 500, but it was *so cute*!!
Delete