Beyond the sliding door in our dining room is an outside room. We've never quite decided what to call it. It's not a deck because it doesn't stick out beyond the house; it's behind the garage and beside the dining room. It's covered by a roof that's part the main roof. I think in the south they might call it a veranda, but that sounds kinda high flalutin' for around here. So we usually call it the deck. But I know that's wrong. Anyway, we love it. It's up high as we have a daylight basement, and there's a tree at the far end that makes us feel as if we're in a tree house. It's private, cozy, and perfect. Except for the furniture.
Twenty-two years ago (!!!), we visited my brother when he still lived in Minnesota and fell in love with their new deck furniture. When we got back home, I was thrilled to find a store here in town that carried it. I bought the chaise lounge for Dan's birthday and he was surprised and quite happy. A little later he bought a matching rocker for me. A year or so later we added another chair and we were in business. The house we lived in then had an actual deck which was in the sun a good part of the day so in a few years, the wicker part began to fade. Also, a grandpup decided to do a little work on the rocker and chewed a corner of the seat.
Fast forward to this house and some years later. The furniture came to this house looking rather sad and for years we've talked about repainting them. But it sounded like a horrible job requiring taking everything apart and sanding, buffing, you know, WORK! So nothing happened. This summer I've found a few do-it-yourself blogs and I've used them to stir me to a little action. Spray paint seemed to be the paint of choice for all kinds of re-do's and so last Friday I said to Dan that I thought we should look into a Rust-oleum paint and attack the outdoor furniture. He was a good sport and so on Saturday we set out to look over the offerings at one of our local stores. And there it was! Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X semi-gloss in hunter green. Exactly what I wanted. We bought two cans and headed for home. Dan gamely hauled two of the chairs through the garage and out into the driveway, washed them down, let them dry, and began to paint.
As you can see, this is the rocking chair that was gnawed on. It used to be blue wicker with cream metal. Now it's all green and I love it. The hunter green turned out to be closer to a John Deere green, but where they sit on the deck, or porch, or whatever, is almost always in the shade so they look darker out there.
Next he attacked another chair and here are the two of them back in place and all bright and shiny.
Next up was the chaise. As the oldest, it was in pretty sad shape.
He just got it finished so I don't have a picture of it in all it's new-found glory. Soon. And finally, we have one more chair to paint. It's already green, but it's not the same shade so we'll give it a matching coat. The owners of the grandpup bought it to make up for the chewed one even though we told them not to worry about it. (They knew we wanted to change to green for this house and the blue was no longer available anyway.)
There are some amazing paints out there these days. The Rust-oleum was very easy to work with and Dan was quite impressed with it. It even bonds to plastic. Now I'm thinking what else I can to do make our outdoor room even more attractive. (And oh yes, we did buy more paint--I don't want any readers to think only two cans did all this work. One can per chair, two for the chaise.)
Twenty-two years ago (!!!), we visited my brother when he still lived in Minnesota and fell in love with their new deck furniture. When we got back home, I was thrilled to find a store here in town that carried it. I bought the chaise lounge for Dan's birthday and he was surprised and quite happy. A little later he bought a matching rocker for me. A year or so later we added another chair and we were in business. The house we lived in then had an actual deck which was in the sun a good part of the day so in a few years, the wicker part began to fade. Also, a grandpup decided to do a little work on the rocker and chewed a corner of the seat.
Fast forward to this house and some years later. The furniture came to this house looking rather sad and for years we've talked about repainting them. But it sounded like a horrible job requiring taking everything apart and sanding, buffing, you know, WORK! So nothing happened. This summer I've found a few do-it-yourself blogs and I've used them to stir me to a little action. Spray paint seemed to be the paint of choice for all kinds of re-do's and so last Friday I said to Dan that I thought we should look into a Rust-oleum paint and attack the outdoor furniture. He was a good sport and so on Saturday we set out to look over the offerings at one of our local stores. And there it was! Rust-oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X semi-gloss in hunter green. Exactly what I wanted. We bought two cans and headed for home. Dan gamely hauled two of the chairs through the garage and out into the driveway, washed them down, let them dry, and began to paint.
As you can see, this is the rocking chair that was gnawed on. It used to be blue wicker with cream metal. Now it's all green and I love it. The hunter green turned out to be closer to a John Deere green, but where they sit on the deck, or porch, or whatever, is almost always in the shade so they look darker out there.
Next he attacked another chair and here are the two of them back in place and all bright and shiny.
Next up was the chaise. As the oldest, it was in pretty sad shape.
He just got it finished so I don't have a picture of it in all it's new-found glory. Soon. And finally, we have one more chair to paint. It's already green, but it's not the same shade so we'll give it a matching coat. The owners of the grandpup bought it to make up for the chewed one even though we told them not to worry about it. (They knew we wanted to change to green for this house and the blue was no longer available anyway.)
There are some amazing paints out there these days. The Rust-oleum was very easy to work with and Dan was quite impressed with it. It even bonds to plastic. Now I'm thinking what else I can to do make our outdoor room even more attractive. (And oh yes, we did buy more paint--I don't want any readers to think only two cans did all this work. One can per chair, two for the chaise.)
Those look great! That seems like a very satisfying project.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Hallie. It is a *very* satisfying project! I keep looking out there and smiling. Now to figure out how to keep going...
DeleteGood work revitalizing your outdoor room. I can see you sitting out there knitting away or enjoying a good book.
ReplyDeleteWe have a sun porch at the back of the farmhouse that I maintain we should fix up somehow. It's a little warm there in the summer, but in the winter it's delightful.
I missed your sun porch, but I agree that you should fix it up. There's a blog that I love, Between Naps on the Porch (see the button on the left side of my blog), and she's got a wonderful porch she often writes about. I think she deserves credit for inspiring me.
Delete