When I got up this morning, I wandered into the living room and asked Dan if he'd like to go out for breakfast, just have a play day, and he said, "Let's."
We drove downtown and went to our favorite breakfast place where we proceeded to stuff our faces eat a couple of very tasty plates of food. (Yum to omelets and hash browns!) The fun thing about eating breakfast out is we can each order what we want. Actually, I guess that's true for any meal you eat out, but it seems like more fun when it's breakfast. We could each only eat half, so we have containers in the frig that we're saving for Sunday morning when we'll enjoy having a ready-made breakfast as we get ready for church. :-)
When we finished eating, Dan said, "Now what?" I mentioned a walk and he said maybe we should go to a furniture store to look for a new recliner for the living room. One arm of his recliner had somehow gotten ruined, we know not how, and was very dark, almost black. It looked bad. At the furniture store, we perused the La-Z-Boys but nothing jumped out at us, so we took some fabric samples home and thought we'd see if we could find something to work and just order one. On our way out the door, Dan spotted an end table he liked.
We came home, gave a thumbs down to all the fabric and looked glumly at our chair. Inspiration struck and I asked if we could try the Resolve carpet cleaner on it and see what happened. The chair was already on it's way out, so there was nothing to lose. We gave it repeated applications, and lo and behold, it worked! We still have no idea how the arm was blackened, but it now matches the other one and the chair looks perfect!
We took the fabric samples back, found the end tables Dan had seen, and spotted several other matching pieces. Here is where I confess that after almost forty-one years of marriage, we've never had real end tables. Our itty bitty trailer had no space for any, and in our next three homes we used the giant speakers Dan had purchased when he was in the Navy. When we moved to this house, we stuck the speakers in the basement and used some old night stands for end tables. That is, until today!!
As you can see, we didn't stop at end tables. I love, love, love that sofa table by the rocking chair! And I thought the coffee table would be too large, but it's perfect! We need one more end table, but we're pondering that decision and have several choices. I'm so excited!!!
And it all started with breakfast out. :-) (I should probably mentioned that we ate lunch and dinner out, too. I told you it was a fun day!)
The great thing about "the senior schedule" is that you can have your fun day on a day that isn't Saturday. It is so much fun to spy furniture that both of you like instantly. It feels so right!
ReplyDeleteYou're so right, Kathy, on both counts. We haven't bought much furniture over the years, but usually when we look, we can't find anything that suits our tastes. Amazingly, these pieces were just as if they'd been made for us. And all on a Friday. :-)
DeleteI think we have the matching media stand but with brushed nickel knobs. Those are great pieces! It feels so good to go out and find exactly what you have in mind. Nick and I often form a vision of what we want and then discover that it doesn't exist (or doesn't exist at an acceptable price).
ReplyDeleteHow fun that we have matching pieces! (And if we ever need a media center... )
DeleteWe are like you and Nick--a vision is usually in our minds, but never to be found. Until Friday!