I'm up to my ears in stuff. Really! Tuesday I spent the afternoon with my friend Anne, who is also my daughter-in-law's mom. She invited me over to do some scrapbooking. Yes, I scrapbook. I first started after Matt and Amy's wedding when a friend invited me to a Creative Memories get-together and I took some wedding pictures. By the end of the afternoon, I was hooked and went home to rework the albums I had.
I started with our first album as a married couple. I pulled the photos from those old sticky "magnetic" album pages and put the pictures on new, acid-free paper. I journaled on every page, and slowly made progress. Over the next few years, I got very close to "real time" on several occasions, but then I would burn out or get busy with other things. Until Tuesday, I hadn't scrapbooked in several years.
Well, you can guess what's happened. I'm a woman possessed! When I got home, I began to dig through piles of pictures and memorabilia. I'm very sentimental and anything my loved ones have given me is precious. Scribbled notes created by little hands with color crayons? I've got them. Valentine's cards with Jolly Ranchers stuck to them with tape? Right over there. Pictures of tiny baby toes? Yup. Oh my. Yesterday I was moved to tears by my treasures. And the real reason I've been digging through every single pile I can find? I can't find Cameron's baby announcement. And it's time to do his "Welcome to the World" pages. Ack!! How can I have every thank you card given me by my students and not be able to find the announcement?!? I must remain hopeful.
So, no pictures today. Who needs to see heaped piles of cards, pictures, stickers and colorful paper? I'm off to search one more time for that announcement. Wish me luck.
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Keep digging....
ReplyDeleteYou know, I've seen those scrapbook photo albums and they are so cool! I need to suggest that to my Mom, I think she might enjoy doing that.
ReplyDeleteCJ, I think your Mom would enjoy it. It's a trip down memory lane, for sure; but even more, when I had the old albums, my kids looked at them, but when I started over with the journaling, they absolutely loved it. They told me they were familiar with the photos, but now they had the stories behind them. My brother's family loves them, too, and my Mom loves to look. Everybody in the family is in them and that's why it's so fun.
ReplyDeleteWell, you know you didn't throw that announcement away -- that's just a given. So, you'll come up with it. I so admire your creative outlets. To me, the main thing is writing for our children however we do it because there's just so much they don't know -- and so much they won't remember. I know this because I also am a child . . .
ReplyDeleteAunt Chris, you might be one of the craftiest people I know! I can follow instructions, but I'm not so good with a clean slate. I enjoy seeing scrap booking works of art, but I don't have the creative confidence to be successful with it myself. I hope in a future blog you'll show some of your albums!
ReplyDeleteNo wait--correction to the above. Might be? Nay--you ARE one of the craftiest people I know. :)
ReplyDeleteHallie, you sweetie! Thanks for the nice compliment. :-) One of these days I'll write another post about scrapbooking and try to get some pictures of a few of the pages I've done. I'm not too scrappy--I just try to set off the pictures and tell the story.
ReplyDelete