Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Jammie Grammy

In the summer of 2002, on our way to the Oregon Coast, daughter-in-law Amy and I had a fun day shopping quilt stores in Portland and surrounds. In one of the shops I spied a pattern for boxers for little boys. I bought the pattern and a cute fabric with puppies on it to make a pair for Ryan, who was the ripe old age of three at the time.

When I got home, I stitched up the puppy boxers in size 4 and loved how cute they were. I picked up a pack of Hanes t-shirts and appliqued a square of the puppy fabric on the front and gave them to Ry to use for his summer jammies. He loved them so much he refused to take them off for days. The boxer pattern was designed as a master pattern for sizes 2-12, so I decided to make a pair of size 2's for Cameron. I'm telling you, those little boxers were the cutest things I'd ever seen! I made two more pair for Cam and two more for Ry; Keaton was just a baby so I didn't make him any that year. Thus began a summer tradition that has continued until now.

By my count, I have made more than three dozen boxers over the years. I'm up to size 12 now, and I think they'll do for a while longer as long as I lengthen them.

Here's a picture of the last ones I made. I actually made three of each color so each of the boys got matching sets. When I can find designs that match the fabrics, I embroider a design on the t-shirt as I did here.


I love that my little men sleep in Grammy Jammies each night in warmer weather. They were even known to wear them under their blanket sleepers during cold weather when they were littler. :-)

4 comments:

  1. How cute. But my favortie part of the story is what you call them ..."Grammy Jammies"...love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very special that young grandsons are receptive and appreciative of this effort. I'm not sure my grandsons would be. It is such fun to sew for little ones, though. The other day I was looking for something in the pattern box that belonged to my mother and found a vintage (1953) pattern for nightgown and robe in a size 4. I know someone who will be a size 4 in a year or two. Maybe I'll give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, yes it's fortunate that the boys love their jammies. The fun thing is the fabrics--there are so many boy fabrics these days. I've made ones with trucks, fish, dogs, jungle animals, tools, sports items, etc. It's fun to personalize with each boy's interests. When we all went to the coast the last time, I made them matching ones with snorkling duckies fabric. I'll have to see if I can scan the picture of the boys all wearing them and post it.

    Emmy will love the nightgown and robe! Is it a pattern your mom used for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the picture of the boys wearing matching jammies.

    Mom probably used that pattern to make me a nightgown and/or robe, but I have no memory of it. She didn't keep many patterns, so she must have liked it or seen it as a classic that could be used again. When I think of the patterns that we just tossed!

    I was Mason's "jamma gramma." I sent him pajamas from time to time. Then his mother took me aside and said, "Don't do that any more. He wants to be just like Daddy." You know -- sleeping in the buff.

    ReplyDelete