Monday, March 15, 2010

Hittin' the Road

Dan and I took a little trip over the weekend. We've been talking about it for weeks, and when we got down to actually planning, realized it was this last weekend or sometime waaaay off in the future. Amazingly, we came up with a plan and by ten o'clock Friday morning, we were off!

Where did we decide to go? Missoula, Montana. Why there you ask? Well, first off I need to tell you that I am not a city girl. Traffic makes me crazy. Just ask any of my family. And I'm not even the driver! (It's very hard to drive with your eyes closed praying for survival!) And I'm not a shopper. So, where does that leave us? A small "big town" with quilt shops (me) and sporting good stores (Dan), easy traffic, and ... a Target!!! We drove over Lolo Pass on our way over and it was an incredibly beautiful drive. We stopped along the main Clearwater River so my honey could check out some trees (what else?) and I snapped a few pictures.


Beautiful, huh? Here's another one.


And here's one of my sweetie.


We had a great time in Missoula. We found a Bernina shop that had Kansas Troubles Vine Creek fabrics and I did myself proud buying fat quarters and 1/2-yard cuts. I have a tidy little stash now. We also hit the aforementioned Target and got some things for the house--needed, but ever so much more fun to buy out of town as trip reminders. :-)

We came back over I-90 yesterday and then meandered our way through some back country on the final leg home. It was a gloriously beautiful day. Again we stopped so Dan could check out trees, and I got this picture.


Don't we live in some beautiful country?

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the traffic. I used to drive to Portland annually -- no more. Traffic gets to me, too. Sometimes the city just can't be avoided if I want to see my children.

    So -- was there construction on Hwy 12 over the Lolo Pass? The road was all torn up last summer and we understood it would go on for several years.

    I also like to shop in common places when out of town. Take me to the grocery store or Target or a fabric shop. I'll be happy to hang there for a while.

    It's great that you had such a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, it is gloriously beautiful! I love the mountains, and would love to live in them, but my sweetie wants his long gardening season.

    Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chris, I appreciate the photos you shared SO much. I'll show them to our son and DIL next time they stop by since our son loves Missoula so much.

    Do you live far out in the country and don't have much for stores?

    I'd live in the boonies if hubby would. All I need is a computer setup to order my fabrics..LOL

    As I grew up, Grandma and Grandpa had a camp out in the woods and it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, there was no construction on the highway. We could tell they'd done some erosion work some time in the recent past, but there was no activity or sign of it Friday. As a matter of fact, we practically had a private road all the way. Of course, that suited me just fine. :-)

    Portland traffic...it's the worst! Speeding along, rounding a steep corner, and finding everyone stopped. Ack!!! If we ever go to the Oregon coast again I'm for finding a different route so we can avoid Portland altogether. I don't care how long it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, we could share horror stories. We often went through Kansas City, MO, on our way to and from Arkansas -- another one to avoid. Trips to Portland: I would usually miss my turn-off to downtown. Instead, I'd end up in Lake Oswego, turn around in the same parking lot and head back into Portland. My motel was on that street -- so see? -- it worked out well, didn't it?

    I know you saw beautiful country on your trip, as evidenced by your pictures. And of course, you were there ahead of the tourist season. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...what kind of tree is Dan standing next to? They're all pines to me! Traffic? Seattle's ranked #9 for worst traffic in the country. :( You may not find me here forever...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hallie! Dan says it's a ponderosa pine, also known as yellow pine or bull pine. They're all pines to me, too, although actually I do know that some are firs, and I just remembered I can recognize a cedar!

    Traffic and I just don't get along. I think it was all those years growing up in a small town and those back roads around the ranger station. You be careful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete