Monday, March 8, 2010

A Bump on a Log

That would describe me today. It's cold and rainy outside, the weekend was very busy, and I'm not getting much done.

About a month ago my niece, Kirsten, asked if she could reserve a room at the Resort for the weekend. Of course she could! She came to attend the 100th birthday celebration of her college sorority and quite the party it was with 450 women attending including the three surviving members of the pledge class of 1937. Amazing. A friend of Kirsten's also ended up staying with us when her other plans fell through. In addition to our reserved guests, quite a number of other young ladies passed through our front door as they came to visit or change clothes in a friendly atmosphere.

Other happenings over the weekend included attending a baby shower Saturday morning and a bridal shower Sunday afternoon, watching grandsons Cameron and Keaton for several hours Saturday night while Eric took Ann on a surprise date, and general Resort duties along with making one of the dishes for the baby shower.

And now it's Monday. The towels are washed and rehung, the sheets are in the dryer, I finally got my face on and my hair sprayed, our bed is made, and here I sit. A bump on a log. I have no idea what we're having for dinner, but something will inspire me, hopefully before five o'clock. :-)

I did do some sewing last week. I made a pair of boxers for a shop display. I made a potholder and knit a dishcloth as part of the bridal shower gift, and I made bibs. Bibs are my go-to baby shower gift. Years ago when our first grandson, Ryan, was tiny, I began making bibs. I tried several different patterns and ended up creating my favorite using ideas from several other patterns. I have no idea how many I have made, but I'm certain it's in the hundreds. I like to use flannel for both the front and back, although I occasionally use a woven on the front. I embroider a design and then layer the batting (Thermore is my favorite as it's not bulky and doesn't shrink), the plain white flannel backing and the front. I stitch, turn, and topstitch, adding 2-inch velcro for the closure. Many moms have told me they absolutely love these bibs as the flannel stops drips and the velcro makes it easy to put them on with one hand while holding the baby.

Here's a picture of the four I have in my stash right now.


And now I'm going to force myself to get up and do something. Wish me well. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Wow those are great Chris! I used to swathe my kids in head to toe bibs... LOL. Or else feed them naked! Too bad you couldn't post those being modeled, too cute!

    After the weekend it sounds like you had, I think you should consider remaining a "bump" for a few more days. I sure would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way today -- a bump on a log. But when I think of it, I really accomplished quite a lot. I was up before 6:30 and by 9:00 I had baked 4 dozen gingersnaps -- an old family recipe -- so that I could post that on my blog. I made some calls for P.E.O., then headed to town. I mailed three boxes (feels good to get them out of the house), then went shopping (2+ hours out). Arriving home, that's when the "bump" syndrome hit. But we walked Nellie, I made more calls, and I put away the remaining Dept. 56 Christmas stuff. It just wasn't a day of my favorite activities. But the new post from you is a bright spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, that sounds like a very busy day! After all that, you deserved to be a bump. :-) I got the beds remade yesterday afternoon and then made a big delicious pot of soup and muffins for dinner. Guess I got less bumpish as the day progressed. Sometimes a girl just needs a day, or part of one, to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't bibs just too fun to make? And yours look great, Chris.

    You know, it just sounds as though you've been so busy with everything that a dull moment is just that - DULL - and you don't know how to react . That may be a good thing...LOL Because before you know it, things can get busy again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a test on how to post for Marty!

    ReplyDelete