Meanwhile, here's a picture of one of my favorite quilts. I like to make smaller seasonal quilts to throw across the top of our bed and this is the current winter one. The warm colors brighten my day.

The pattern is called Three, Six, Nine, and I purchased the fabrics at a quilt shop in West Virginia during a visit with my son and family. Amy, Ryan and I took a road trip while Dan and Matt visited the Smithsonian. History lover that I am, quilt shops took precedence over even "The Big One." Fabric sells out, the Smithsonian is there forever! :-)
"Fabric sells out, the Smithsonian is there forever!"... spoken like a true quilter! I love your little quilt against the white bedspread, perfect!
ReplyDeleteWhat a bright accent to you bed!
ReplyDeleteLOL - you got your priorities right, girl!!!
What's a vacation for if not to refresh and come home with new inspiration? Were the fabric/quilting shops bigger on the east coast? Did you find better variety -- fabrics that were new to you? Did you buy yardage or fat quarters? Did you have quilt patterns in mind when you shopped or just buy for your stash?
ReplyDeleteI like your small quilt idea. No matter what I take on, I go overboard, so I'm thinking in terms of smaller things, especially since I'm a learner. Potholder, doll quilts, table runners . . .
Kathy (trying to expand the blogging experience through comments)
Thanks, ladies. I kinda like it, myself. :-)
ReplyDeleteKathy, in answer to your questions, shops were of varying sizes, just like here. My absolute favorite one is in Madison, VA, and we stopped there on our way to visit Monticello. It's a fair drive from Matt and Amy's. The shop is in an old (late 1860's) church. They had rooms full of fabric and patterns and Amy and I spent *a lot* of $$ there. I bought mainly yardage, but I did buy one kit which I still need to make up. I bought mainly for my stash.
Fabrics depend on the "theme" of the store, no matter where they are found. The one in West Virginia carried traditional fabrics, as did the one in Madison--mostly. I'm not a fan of bright or "modern" fabrics, so I don't usually go to stores that carry them. Amy knows what I like and she has traveled Virginia and surrounds extensively in the years they've lived there, so she knows just where to take me.
You are wise to concentrate on smaller items--they're fun, you learn, and gratification comes much sooner. I absolutely love table runners for just that reason.
I enjoyed reading this explanation of fabric stores. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
ReplyDelete