I have a strange love: bowls. Even as a child, I remember loving bowls; an old broken bowl belonging to one of my great-grandmothers that I glued back together, my Dad's old stoneware Wheaties bowl. Somehow bowls have
history. I am currently lusting after a dark green 2-quart Fiestaware bowl. It would be a perfect serving bowl with my Longaberger Heritage Green dishes.
These bowls are in my cupboard:

They belonged to Dan's Aunt Jess. We have no idea how old they are, but I love them. They are small and rather rustic. They just say, "We have history." And they make us think of Aunt Jess who was one special lady.
Oh GOLLY I adore bowls too! Especially any pottery ones. Those two are just gorgeous Chris!
ReplyDeleteAre you sayin' there's a green Fiesta bowl you want to buy? Go get it.
ReplyDeleteI have a few bowls with history. And a few years back I realized there was no future in hoarding them. We enjoy using and handling them.
I sort of think they say - MAKE SOME BROWNIES IN ME....ROFLOL
ReplyDeleteKathy, after I wrote this post I headed out and bought the green bowl. :-) It's all washed and in the cupboard. Guess I just like to think things over and be sure it's something I would really use. It's going to be perfect for salads or a big pile of mashed pototoes.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean -- I think things over, too. But, hey -- I knew that Fiesta bowl was calling your name, and really, I'm sure it didn't cost THAT much. When I look at my dated kitchen stuff I think about what you once said -- that you had some things in your kitchen that you truly love -- and I think again about why I'm clinging to this stuff. In fact just last week I took two Corning casseroles from the '70s (lids long gone) from my shelf and replaced with some retro-looking things from (dare I say it) WalMart.
ReplyDeleteYay to you for dumping the unlovely stuff and getting some things that make you smile! :-) We work in our kitchens every day. When I grab something, I want it to make me smile, either bacause of its color, or because it does its job extremely well (or both!). I know there are women out there who would relish the old Corning casseroles, even without the lids, but thankfully we're not in that situation. Neither of us is extravagant, so a treat now and then keeps us happy in our homemaking. I'd love to see your new things.
ReplyDeleteOoooh! I would love to have you come visit me, but if you make a special trip to see my new cupboard things, you might be disappointed. I bought a set of four Pyrex 1-cup bowls with tight lids because I think it's not good to use plastic in the microwave. And I bought a 4x8 Anchor Hocking loaf pan with matching lid. Very utilitarian stuff. No, we aren't extravagant, and we do cook, so we should have good stuff. I'm still looking . . .
ReplyDelete