Saturday, August 2, 2014

Sewing Aerobics

One does not usually associate sewing with exercise, but with my latest project, I beg to differ.  The instructions called for eighty 2 1/2 x 5" rectangles to be sewn in a herringbone pattern to triangular bases.  


As a stickler for pressing as I go, that meant that each time I attached a rectangle, I needed to hop up, go to my iron, and press the seam.  Times eighty.  Because it was that herringbone pattern, there could be no chain piecing with a group pressing along the way.  

While my ironing board is fairly close to my machine, it does involve a few steps.


Up, over, press, back to the chair, stitch, up, over, press, back to the chair.  I think it was excellent exercise! 


The pieces are all joined and last night I trimmed them to size.  Up for today will be the assembling of the whole top.   And what will it be you ask?  A table runner from the Through the Winter Woods book.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. I love it! It's just wonderful.

    I hope your room didn't get hot with your iron on. Mine sure does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my sewing room is in the basement and we have central air, I have to say that it's sometimes downright cold down there. If anything, the iron may help keep a better temperature.

      Delete
    2. And that's "cool!" as we say in the vernacular.

      Delete