Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Tiny Little Decorating Project

As it's about time to change seasonal decorating, I came to the realization that my little flag decoration would soon be coming down and I would again be left with a blank spot next to the front door. This was unthinkable! And so I headed down to my newly organized sewing room and began to pull books from my stash, looking for just the right new thing.  I finally found what I thought would work and was able to go right to my bin of ziplock bags full of scraps, all sorted by color!! Super yay for organization!!  

A few fabric tryouts and some tracing, cutting and ironing, and I had my little top. 


At first, I thought I'd make a small quilted hanging, but as I looked at it I realized it would just look bulky. It's quite primitive and I decided what it needed was to be framed with a simple black frame.  Hmmm, where to get a simple black frame?  I called in my Sweetie and described my dilemma, knowing full well he would volunteer to make one.  


He's made the pieces and hopefully he'll have time tomorrow to put it together.  (If you think retired people, or in his case semi-retired, have lots of spare time, I suggest you think again.)  I told him I would be glad to paint it.  ♥

3 comments:

  1. Cool! Be sure to show again when the little house is in its painted frame.

    So true about time in retirement. The days just melt away but it's good to be busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's busy, busy today, so I guess the frame will wait. :-) Hey, I was thinking it was a week or so until time for fall stuff, but now I realize Monday is September!! Must inspire him to action!! Except he's committed to a project at church right now and later today, most likely, helping Dennis finish a project. Hmmm...

      Delete
  2. And that's just another fact of retirement -- our skills are in demand everywhere.

    And yes, it's time to make the great switch. I put Halloween lights in the kitchen window at the farm and located all my Halloween ceramics. I'll do the same here in town this weekend. I suppose it's a little soon for Halloween, but I kinda enjoy that semi-spooky stuff. And if I don't do it early, it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete