Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Little Organization, Please!

My longtime friend and pal, Kathy (all the way back to kindergarten!), and I email regularly as well as keep up via our blogs.  We've been discussing quilting stashes recently and mulling over purchases and possible additions.  I mentioned to her the other day that I really needed to sort out my sewing room closet, although I confess I really wasn't planning to do anything except contemplate sorting.  Until yesterday. 

For some strange reason, I found myself in my sewing room and I opened the closet doors and shockingly began to pull things out.  Dan happened along and I told him what I was up to.  He said, would more shelves help? Well, of course they would, but he has little time these days and I wanted closure on this project within a day or so.  He measured, we talked, and he said that rather than build the shelves from scratch and paint them, he could buy pre-painted boards and some brackets and get this project done that very afternoon.   Pre-painted boards? Who knew?!?  (Obviously not me.)

So, with my blessing, he headed out for the builder's supply and I attacked the closet with a vengeance. Here are some before pictures (don't judge!)



 


And how did the renovating turn out?


I so blessed to have such a wonderful, huge closet (with a light in it!) to start with, and now I have space, space, space thanks to my sweetie!  Today I have begun to put things back and it's an archeological dig.  So many wonderful fabrics that had been buried, some not so wonderful ones that will go bye-bye (I'll donate to the local Hope Center), and if you can believe it, I even found a piece of fabric I bought to make a maternity top back in the '70's!!  (Yeah, I saved it.)  

It's taking me a while to sort, and I have all kinds of plans for how to organize, but we'll see how that works in the space.  A section for Kansas Troubles, a section for Christmas, sections for colors (blue, green, red, etc.), flannels, and so on.  I'll keep you posted!  ♥

4 comments:

  1. I am IMPRESSED!!! Yes, you are blessed to have that closet -- and blessed to have a sweetie who knew what to do and got 'er done!

    I think of my mother who sewed for herself and her family all her life, and she kept her stash -- mostly remnants from finished projects -- in barrels in the basement. It's a whole different world from the days when my mother sewed. And you're truly blessed if you have the room to work and store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had no stash at all. She sewed almost everything she and I wore until I was in junior high, but I guess she was so frugal that there weren't enough scraps left from a project to save. Or maybe it was that we didn't have any place to save them. Or both.

      Delete
    2. My mother-in-law sewed that way. She wanted nothing left over -- considered it a waste. But I think my mother wanted the assurance that she would have enough fabric to accommodate whatever alterations she had to make. It was a simple adjustment in those days. Ah -- for the good old days!

      Delete
    3. After spending two days sorting out my fabric, I do believe I'm about to subscribe to the save no scraps theory!! Whoo whee, I'm bushed, and not done yet, but I'm being ruthless!

      Delete