Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December!?!

I started November off with such high hopes of blogging more often and even got in three posts by the 7th. And then...  After Kathy emailed me yesterday to see if I was still among the living, I realized I needed to stir myself to action.

I have all kinds of good excuses.  First and foremost is the fact that I've always been a one-track person, or one dimensional, or to use a new computer-age term, linear. All to say, I do one thing at a time.  Everytime I try to multi-task, I muck something up.  And truth be told, I usually don't even think to do more than one thing at a time unless I'm forced by circumstances.  Does that mean I'm boring?  Probably.  But that's the way I was made!

So, the most exciting news is that I started scrapbooking again!  Yes, after about five or six years, I'm back at it. Dan's moving of his office freed up my former space and I finally got in the mood to transfer my things back over and begin.  I've done a year and a half so far!  I'm currently working on Christmas 2001.

I'm blessed to have such a great workspace!

I also worked for some days on a machine embroidery project for a friend who works at a local store.  I never take on outside embroidery/sewing work, but when Cyndie asked, it sounded fun so I said yes.  I worked up a design for them and then stitched it out nine times on aprons.  The problem was, the aprons were made of a heavy coated fabric and that made it very hard to stitch on.  I had to lower my machine speed to 1/4 which made the process looong.  And the fabric also dulled needles at an alarming rate.  But the aprons turned out to be adorable and everyone at the store loved them.  I forgot to take a picture, but a big stuffed teddy bear is wearing one in the store's front window, so I hope to take my camera to town and snap a photo to share soon.

Both these projects have taken my time, one at a time, over the last few weeks, and they're my excuse for being away for so long.  I'll be back soon as I have other things to write about.  ♥

7 comments:

  1. Glad you're back! I checked often... ;)

    Scrapbooking looks fun. Do you only do albums or do you also make cards and tags and things? I bought some rubber stamps at Target that are the shape of Christmas package tags. I may never have to worry about finding cute tags again! However, now I'll have to ensure that I have paper..ideas a flutter about how to re-purpose scrap paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hallie! Sorry to be gone for so long.

      Scrapbooking *is* fun! I love to put the pictures together and then tell the story. So much better than just pictures with the viewer left wondering what was happening. I don't do a lot of cutsie stuff on my pages, but I do add color that coordinates with the pictures or the season. Of course, I love to do the Christmas pages!

      I used to stamp a lot, but not so much any more (that linear thing coupled with time speeding by), but I do still make the occasional card and tags. You'll have fun with your tags! Scrap paper for sure, brown paper grocery bags, pretty envelopes...

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm. I've felt out of my depth with the scrapbooking idea. It seems like a lot of quilters also enjoy scrapbooking. My sister Joni has done some scrapbooks and also my friend Rosemary.

    But I would like to develop a better tag for my doll clothes creations . . .

    I'm glad you had time to post because -- well -- you're just part of my Christmas. I'm looking forward to a picture of that apron. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've had longer no-blog spells, but really, I needed to be better about writing. But between busyness and non-eventful days, I don't think to write.

      Hmmm...tags for your doll clothes. That could be fun! What are you thinking? And scrapbooking. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want to make it. Mine are pretty simple, but I do my journaling on the computer--easier to read and I can say a lot more.

      Yes, you and I go way back with Christmas. Wouldn't be the same without you!

      Delete
    2. I wanted a tag for my doll clothes enterprise, so I ordered ready-made. It says,"Made with TENDER LOVING CARE by Gramma's Scrap Bin." I photocopied the tags and then I cut them apart and glue them on "tag stock" from Jo-Ann. I affix the tag to the garment by a small safety pin or just hook it over the hanger. Sometimes I name the garment, like "summer clearance sun dress" or "designer jeans by KW." Would love something more unique and "classy."

      Is it necessary to do this? No.

      Delete
    3. Necessary, no, but would it bring you joy to design new tags?

      Delete
    4. Well, there's only so much time it's worth. The little girl doesn't care. It's just to entertain the adults and perhaps make it feel more special. I don't draw, you know, but with the aid of a computer, I could probably develop something -- if I knew the direction.

      Delete