Yes, I know it was a week ago, but we all know I was busy, so here I am. We had a wonderful day with Ann and family. My parents were planning to come, too, but Dad caught a cold so they thought it prudent for him to stay home and get well. At ninety, he's not as young as he used to be! The good news is that he's feeling much better.
I took over the de rigueur green bean casserole, but used my home canned green beans, which I think, made it extra delicious. I also made a sweet potato casserole and took the fixin' for the boys favorite fruit salad (which in actuality is more like a dessert). Keaton put the salad together while Cameron peeled good ol' south Idaho potatoes (thanks, Bruder Bear!). Good thing Ann's got such a big and well arranged kitchen.
Ann's kitchen has a big eating/family room area adjoining it and while Cameron lit a fire in the fireplace, Eric and Daniel got cozy on the loveseat.
Once the dinner was about ready, Eric and the boys rearranged the furniture, moving the table in front of the fireplace and moving the loveseat and end table closer to the kitchen.
The boys were all ready for the food!
And so the rest of us rallied around, too.
Ann has a wonderful set of dishes she calls her "Thanksgiving dishes." They came to her through Eric's mom and had belonged to her mom. They have leaves on them in fall colors and, with many unique serving pieces, are just perfect for a big Thanksgiving feast.
We ate until we could eat no more and then put off the pie until after playing some games and Daniel's bedtime. Then we took our pie downstairs to the TV and proceeded to watch Home Alone 2 and giggle our way through the remainder of the evening. What a perfect day!
And I'll leave you with one last photo, taken by Daniel with my camera.
It's of his red heart balloon. ♥
A delicious feast! Does Eric work at SEL? I worked there during my last year of college.
ReplyDeleteIt was a delicious feast indeed! (The sides are all on a nearby table,)
DeleteYes, he does work at SEL. He's an electrical engineer.
I say! That boy is a budding photographer!
ReplyDeleteI think it's nice to include some dish from your own garden or that you canned yourself. We used to freeze corn that my dad grew, and I always said that it should be the anchor of our Thanksgiving dinner. Others were intrigued but I don't think it ever happened.
I hadn't thought of the beans in that way, but you're right--part of being thankful for our many provisions.
Delete