The socks I'm knitting for my mom for Christmas are coming along. The first one is done and I'm a good three inches into the second one. I love knitting in a circle! As I knit, I marvel that someone first devised knitting, and from there, the intricasies of a knit-in heel totally bowl me over. Genius minds were at work, for certain!
My next project, when the socks are completed, is something totally different. The past few years, many quilters have been taken with wool applique. A few months ago I spotted a cute kit in a quilting catalog and decided I would give it a try. It's a Christmas project and we all know I'm a pushover for Christmas decorations. The kit came complete with wool and frame, so that helped clinch the deal.
Here's a closeup of the pattern:
I have the perfect spot for this long narrow picture:
See the area above the basket to the left of the front door? I used to put a small quilt there at Christmas, but when we put the moulding around the windows, the space became too small. I think this little project will be just perfect there! All I have to do is get it made. . .
Meanwhile, laundry is churning and a can of Pledge is sitting on the kitchen counter. Bruder Bear and family will be arriving Friday afternoon for the weekend. If I don't want them to choke to death on the dust, I'd better get dustcloth in hand. ♥
I agree that it's fascinating to contemplate the number of people who have practiced these arts down through the ages and perfected it for us. Now and then there's a breakthrough in technique. I admit that I pay little attention to various methods of crochet and simply work as I always have.
ReplyDeleteWool applique, huh? I'm anxious to hear more . . .
I'm hoping I don't get buffaloed by the applique. I need to sneek up on it soon! I'm turning the heel on sock #2, so I'm closing in on finishing that project. I'm hoping the applique will be fun and go quickly. I'll let you know!
DeleteI don't know much about applique -- have never done it. So -- I'm curious to see how it goes for you. I hope you enjoy it. That's the main thing -- even if it's a challenge.
Delete