Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Fancy

My long time pal, Kathy, and I have had a running conversation over some months about our kitchens.  I subscribe to the theory that a room we spend so much time in must be attractive and be filled with attractive and useful tools.  In short, I like it when the things I use make me smile.

The kitchen in this house is an unusual shape.  Our house has an angle in it and one wing of the angle forms a kitchen wall.  That means the room does not have four ninety degree corners; it's a trapezoid, with a peninsula in the middle of it which contains the sink.  When we bought the house over twelve years ago, the kitchen was the room that needed the most immediate attention. We've done a lot:  stripped wallpaper, put up bead board, taken down cupboards over the peninsula, redone the lights and counter tops, and the work continues.

In our last house, the original sink was avocado green, and I hated it except for one thing; I absolutely loved its configuration.  The right side was huge and deep, and the left was small and shallow with a garbage disposal attached.  We replaced it with an almond sink of the same style.  This house had an almond sink, but it was the conventional two, same size, both useless, basins.  When we redid the counter tops, we replaced it with the style I loved and added a new faucet, also in almond.  I liked the look, and liked that I didn't have to continually buff it to get rid of hard water spots because of our well water.  

Fast forward a few years, and we made the discovery that our lovely water ate away at the almond finish on the new faucet, causing it to chip away in places.  In November, Dan completely redid our water softener system and we no longer have pipe and faucet eating iron in our water, so today he installed a bee-u-ti-ful new faucet.  It's pewter colored to match the door pulls on my new cookbook cupboard (we're nothing if not coordinated here at the Resort).  


Pretty fancy, huh?  It looks great from any angle, and yes, it makes me smile.  

4 comments:

  1. Well -- and it should make you smile. That's great! Son Clint was recounting his kitchen woes -- all related to the sink. He said the sink was useless because it's not deep enough, but he couldn't replace it due to lack of space. So he put in a new faucet and a more powerful disposer and called it good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to Clint's sink woes. One of the reasons I love my sink so much is that I can get big pots and pans and even the turkey roaster in it. Once I discovered how wonderful that dreadful avocado green sink was, I knew I would never willingly go back to a "normal" sink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember your wallpaper stripping party all too well ;)My goal was to strip off the biggest piece at one time LOL! Looks lovely Chris...I love things that make me smile in the kitchen too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nina! I forgot that you helped with the wallpaper! It was so horrible to get off and I remember that we used bottle after bottle of Windex and rejoiced if the piece that came off was bigger than two inches square!! What a good sport you were!

    ReplyDelete