Sunday, January 29, 2012

Did It!

First, a short story.  Friday night, about one-thirty, Dan was awakened by something.  Then, as he says, he saw a bright light and then heard a boom!  Turns out a car hit a power pole on the highway just east of us, and the bright light and boom were the end of power for us.  We got up to a cold house and were thankful for a gas fireplace in the living room and the wood insert in the basement. Brrrr!   We have our own well, so no power means a limited, as in very small, amount of reserve water.  No flushing!  We got ourselves together and drove downtown, hoping they had power, and discovering they did, rewarded ourselves with a yummy breakfast at the Breakfast Club.  

We got back home about ten and found that the power had just come back on.  Yea!!  Unfortunately, we had no cable (apparently another victim of the accident), and since our only choice for high-speed internet is the cable, no internet.  Until after noon today.  It was actually kind of nice.  

So, onto what I did.  I made the runner for the coffee table to match my "Valentine" quilt!  I found the bag of scraps from the pink, brown, and red quilt, went all through them looking to see which colors had enough to use, and came up with this:


I was stymied for a while because I didn't have enough of the border fabric (or any of the other fabrics) to do the binding, but then I remembered I had purchased the rest of the bolt of one of the red fabrics in the same line (Buggy Barn's In the Pink 2), and so I had a solution.  

Here's how it looks with the quilt:


See the little wood bowl on the coffee table?  A gift from Kathy, my oldest friend (as in time of friendship, not age!), for Dan's and my fifth anniversary.  It's made of myrtlewood and has made it through thirty-five years of children and grandchildren with hardly a scratch. Something about its size is irresistible to small ones and it's seen a lot of action, right up until now.  

And for any quilting readers, may I recommend these little clips made by Clover:


In addition to being cuter than cute, they are perfect for holding the binding edge in place while hand stitching it down.  I love them!  They come in packs of ten and can be found at your local quilt shop.  

2 comments:

  1. The runner is a lovely complement to the quilt and adds to the festive appearance of the room. I find it fulfilling to pull scraps together for a new project. It's great that the little bowl has been serviceable all these years. Something to be said for wood. Thanks for your review of the little clips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it when I make something from scraps! I have a hard time cutting into new, big pieces of fabric, especially ones in my stash. What if I need that big piece for something else later?? But scraps? They make me feel virtuous.

      Thanks again for the bowl!!

      Delete