I got the last of the Christmas decorations down last week. It always seems strangely empty when I'm done, so this year I decided I'd get into Valentine's Day. I've never really decorated for it beyond a bowl of M&M's or setting out cards, so I'm basically starting from scratch. Add to that an aversion to shopping, and you can see that I didn't have much to work with. But I love a challenge!!
I did have two table runners I'd made, so I started with them. One I made last year after Valentine's Day and another I made several years ago. The older one is just done in reds and creams, the closest to Valentine's fabrics I could find in my stash (and that was when I discovered that most of my reds were Christmas fabrics!). Now my challenge was to figure out what to put on the runners. It took me a while, but I came up with two ideas I kinda like.
Here's the dining room table top:
The candle holders and the candy dish are reproduction pink depression glass. I got the candle holders well over twenty years ago at a Women's Ministries Council gift exchange at church and I've loved them. The candy dish is from the same company (whose name I can't remember) and I purchased it a year or so later. It's been gathering dust on top of a bookcase for years as an object d' art, and is finally being used for its true purpose. Of course, the final pieces are the M&M's, a mix of plain and peanut.
In the kitchen I finally came up with this idea after prowling the internet and looking (mostly in vain) for ideas:
It's simple: a luncheon plate, a bowl, a candle, and some conversation hearts. I love our crazy grocery store. I call it crazy because it's always so packed with other shoppers, but it does have what you want. In the bulk foods section, I bought a couple scoops of red beans to put in the bottom around the candle, and a couple scoops of those hearts! Sprinkle, sprinkle, and I was done!
I have a quilt I did several years ago that I'd like to put out in the living room since it's done in pinks, reds and browns, but at the moment it doesn't go with other things too well. I'm thinking I'll see if I have some fabric left and make a small runner for the coffee table, and maybe a pillow. If I have fabric. Stay tuned!
Weather report: Still lots of snow! It didn't rain, for which we're thankful. Blue sky and absolutely gorgeous out as I type.
I am pleased to see that you HAVE used your taper candles. The question is, will you also light the brown candle, and will you burn ALL of them down to the stub? ;)
ReplyDeleteThose are very nice decoration ideas. I like the idea of using red beans to set the candle in. I bet you could also use rice, but red beans are probably less likely to make an impossible mess if a cat knocks the whole thing off the table (not that your cat would do that).
Yes, I do use the tapers. I also burn candles that come in a jar, but for some reason don't burn those pillars as often. Probably because they usually sit in a spot that's not so safe.
ReplyDeleteI used the red beans because they blend in with the bowl in case the hearts get eaten down and "holes" show. Rice is a great idea though, and I didn't think of using it.
Buddy is, or has been up to now, very good. He hasn't ever knocked anything over although he does use the end table between the sofa and the love seat as a bridge. :-)
I love the way you say you'll just find some fabric and make a runner. I wish I could do that. First I'd have to agonize over a pattern, then I'd have to agonize over my stash for a while. When I told Harriet I didn't have time to make a holiday table runner, she told me to go to Ross and buy one. I never thought of that! Don't forget about the "BE MINE" banner we made a couple of years ago.
ReplyDeleteI forgot to comment that yesterday was such a beautiful day with warm sunshine. I actually let our little stove go out in the afternoon. But today -- overcast and cold. It's pouring rain and windy at this writing.
DeleteRegarding the fabric, I thought I had some scraps left over from the quilt, the questions were, "Do I even still have the scraps and if so, how much?" I found enough to piece together the top for the "Quilt in the Hoop" runner we did in embroidery club (at least I think you did one).
DeleteThe Be Mine Banner! I need to find a place to hang it. This is when I wish I had a mantle. The fireplaces I have, it's just that neither one has a mantle.