Saturday, January 7, 2012

Aebelskivers

Or ebelskivers.  They're spelled both ways.  

I mentioned in my Christmas post that I received an aebelskiver pan and recipe book from Ann and Eric for Christmas.  I first ate aebelskivers during a trip to visit our son and family years ago.  Amy made some for us one morning for breakfast and I was fascinated by them. Little round balls, kind of a cross between muffins and pancakes, they were eaten with jam and a dusting of powdered sugar, and they were quite tasty.  

I've seen the pans in several kitchen catalogs and toyed with getting one, but didn't.  Then this Christmas came and a list was requested.  Ponder, ponder.  I must confess that at this stage of our lives, there's not much we don't have, so I pondered some more.  Several things came to mind, and then the aebelskiver pan popped in, so I added it.  And then forgot I did, so when I opened the package with the pan, I was completely surprised! And then I opened the recipe book--recipe after recipe. Too fun!

Several days after Christmas, I decided I needed to jump right into this new method of cooking before it became a "buffalo", and totally forgot to take pictures.  I assure you, however, they were delicious.

This morning, I decided to make them again, try filling some, and take pictures.  For those unfamiliar with an aebelskiver pan, here's a shot, along with the cookbook I received:


Here's the first batch:


And flipped over:


And ready to serve:


I filled the first ones with grape jelly and learned that wasn't such a good idea--the jelly turned too liquid and ran out when I took them out of the pan.  I used strawberry jam in the next batch and that worked well.  I also did some plain ones.  I liked the ones with the strawberry jam best; they had just enough filling for me. Dan likes them plain so he can add as much jam as he likes, and he likes more than I do.  

Aebelskivers are a Danish creation and quite famous there.  I can claim no Danish blood, but I am a quarter Norwegian, so that's close enough. While these are definitely not an every day breakfast item, for a leisurely morning treat, they are wonderful.  Thanks, Ann, Eric and boys!  

7 comments:

  1. Sure! If you lived in Norway I know you'd just hop over to Denmark for an aebelskiver. What an interesting creation! Are they hollow? I'll bet that today, even the Norwegians are making aebelskivers in their own aebelskver makers.

    Mike also likes a lot of the sweet stuff. He fills every little hollow of a waffle with syrup. I just can't take that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, they're not hollow unless you use grape jelly as a filling and it runs out!! And my fingers will attest to how hot that liquid jelly was--I burned two of them with the drips. Ouch!! I used less than 1/2 teaspoon of the strawberry jam and though it was a perfect amount.

    According to my new aebelskiver cookbook, "The invention of aebelskivers is much debated, but one story tells of the Vikings returning very hungry from a fierce battle. With no frying pans on which to cook, they placed their damaged shields over a hot fire and cooked pancakes in the indentations."

    It also says they are traditional fare at Danish holiday gatherings, especially Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying making them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE aebelskivers! I first discovered them at The Old European Restaurant in Pullman and I've never ordered anything else there since :) I am not a pancake girl but these are so yummy because they are crisp on the outside...unlike pancake which or soft and soggy when you put anything on them. Aebelskivers stay crusty and I love them. I have only ever had them at the Old European so suffice it to say it has been a LONG time since having those yummy treats ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nina, you'll have to get a pan and make some, although with your crew, you'll be at it all morning! The pan Ann got me (she said she researched them on Amazon) is great and they turn and come out very easily. I use wooden kabob sticks for turning and they work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting thing! I've never heard of these--I like the story of the Vikings inventing them. Have you ever heard of cake pops? I just learned of those this year while looking through the Crate & Barrel catalog. It's a little cupcake on a stick. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hallie! Yes, they *are* interesting, and yummy! And fun!

      I've heard of cake pops--even eaten some. Several years ago the PTO made some for us teachers and they are delicious! Have you seen this blog? http://www.bakerella.com/ She's kind of the one who got cake pops going. I don't think I would ever go to the work she (and the PTO) does, but they can truly be amazing works of edible art!

      Delete