Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow!

Yes, the storm that we were supposed to get this week actually came.  It's beautiful, but I'm not sure how Dan is feeling about it as he's out plowing once again and also contemplating shoveling the roof.  There's been no school for the last two days, and even the universities shut down, which never happens.  We were without power last night for about five and a half hours, just in time for me to have to throw out a loaf of partially baked bread in the bread machine.  

Here's a little look-see from our house:


Looking east:


The snow has stopped and the sun is trying to come out. Rain is forecast, but I'm hoping not as that would be a fearful mess.  For now, I'm enjoying the beauty.

6 comments:

  1. It's been a MESS over here! We worked from home on Wednesday and Thursday and yesterday warmed up enough for it to be safe to drive downtown to work. There's still some lingering snow, but it's been rainy and in the 40s.

    I'm very surprised that the University shut down. The news said that Western Washington University was criticized for not closing, and I thought that was silly--I put in my time walking (and falling) to class in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hallie! I thought of you when I was listening to the weather channel. Seattle is so hilly! Glad you could work from home.

      I think the university is totally different from the old days, and in more ways than one. I still have a scar on my elbow from falling and splitting it open (though my coat!) the winter of '68-'69 when it was so cold and snowy. And they never shut down a day!

      Delete
  2. Pictures are beautiful, Chris. We had a sunny day yesterday (21st) and the water ran freely down the drive. It's icy right now but should warm again this afternoon. "I am going out," said Kathy -- just like Old Mrs. Rabbit.

    I suppose that closed universities says something about the demographics of our student population. Used to be campus was more or less a closed community but maybe not so much these days. And maybe the administration is thinking twice about liability. Ten years ago or so, Mike and I rode a bus to Moscow to watch LCSC girls play basketball in the old gym. I was appalled that U-I was hosting a tournament without plowing walkways, and sure enough,one of the elderly passengers fell and hit his head. Given he was a prominent real estate person of some means, I couldn't imagine he didn't sue. I always wondered . . . Maybe they settled with U-I's insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment about my pictures, Kathy. I do love snow pictures. :-)

      Wow, what a story about your trip to the basketball game. I don't remember ever hearing about a suit, so I don't know if there was one, or a settlement. Interesting.

      The university is so different now--so many cutbacks affecting the campus and facilities. Remember the beautiful lawns and plantings? No more. I even wondered if they closed to save some money--didn't have to heat or light the buildings for a day. And of course, you're right, it's no longer a closed campus. Seems like every one bails as soon as possible. Every year more apartments are built and they keep filling up, so I often wonder just how many do live on campus anymore.

      Delete
    2. You're probably right that given the condition of the streets the administration took advantage of an opportunity to save a few dollars. Yes, it's so different from when we were there. I guess we have to expect that. I just expected it to change for the better -- you know, as in progress.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure they think many of their changes are progress, and maybe they are. I'm not sure I'd do well with all the online parts to classes anymore, but the kids all seem fine with it.

    Sadly, the physical part of campus is what's taking the brunt of the money problems. I always loved how beautiful the campus was--even when I hated the class part! :-) (And it's not as if it's been entirely let go, but knowing how it was, I can tell the difference.)

    ReplyDelete