Friday, November 4, 2011

Snow! And Cake!

We had our first snowflakes of the season today. For a while the ground was sprinkled with white, but then it disappeared even though the snow continued to fall as the temperatures rose. Why is it that sometimes it will snow at 36 degrees, even up to 40, and rain at 30? Well, I'm no scientist so that question will remain unanswered. For now, anyway.

This was the view to the southeast just a few minutes ago:

I've resisted playing any Christmas music today, but it's coming!

And the cake part of today's title? We're having a ladies soup and bread night at church this evening and I made an old recipe entitled Dutch Apple Cake to have as dessert. I got the recipe from Goldie Adams, a neighbor of my family's when I was in high school. I haven't made it in years, but I had some apples that needed using, and it's a cozy recipe for a cozy day.


Here's the recipe:

Dutch Apple Cake
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp orange rind (optional--or used dried)
  • 1 cup canned milk
  • 2 cups chopped apple
  • 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Instructions:
Mix sugars and shortening well.  Add eggs.  Mix dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture, alternating a third at a time with the milk.  Fold in apples and nuts (if using). Spread in a greased 9x13 pan, sprinkle the top with sugar, and bake for 40-45 minutes at 350.  

This is good both warm and cold, topped with whipped topping or not.  It's also nice as a coffee type cake in the morning!

Hope your day has been warm and cozy.  It's beginning to look a lot like...

5 comments:

  1. This sounds yummo! Phillip's favorite pie is Dutch Apple so I might have to give this a go :) Thanks for posting it Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Nina! I don't know how much like Dutch Apple pie this is, but it's a good, moist cake. I had a piece a little while ago and it's not the least bit dry and I made it Friday at noon. The ladies so enjoyed the soup and bread that amazingly, hardly anyone had dessert which meant I got to bring some home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this recipe, Chris. Some apples seem to work better than others. Do you have a favorite?

    It didn't snow in the valley, but it snowed in the Boise area where Mike was hunting. I guess it was pretty miserable.

    I visited Walmart yesterday where they were playing Christmas music and one of the stockers was wearing a Santa hat. I was in the mood for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy--I'm not picky about apples. I use whatever I have, usually Gala, Fuji, or golden delicious. I did eat a Jonagold the other day and it would probably work well, too. Least expensive would probably be the operative words. :-)

    I have Christmas music playing as I type--it's time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's generally my criteria, too -- whatever kind I happen to have on hand that I bought on sale. Sometimes I mix them.

    Yes, it's time for the Christmas music. I've started listening to holiday programming on the old-time radio podcasts.

    ReplyDelete