Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Finish!

Waaayy back last summer I mentioned I was working on a project for the shop that was out of my comfort zone. Then Moby decided to have his nervous breakdown and I confess, I lost my sewing mojo.  After weeks and weeks of hoping Moby would recover, I finally decided it was time to get on with my sewing life and get some projects finished.

Enter that shop project.  Last week I valiantly revved up my gumption and got with the program.  It's a Christmas table topper using Nancy Halvorson's Jingle All the Way fabric collection.  They're bright and non-traditional colors.  The blocks are made of disappearing nine patches using 5" squares.  The pattern called for charm squares, but I used nine fat quarters and cut them into 5" squares.  It's 50" square, which is big.


I think my favorite part is the red binding, which is a plaid cut on the bias.  I'm actually pleased with how the whole thing turned out; it's not my style, but it's very cute.

Here's a closer version on my table:


It's a little big for the table without it's big "have everyone over top" on it, but you get a better view of the fabrics and colors.  I'll take it over to the shop later today or tomorrow so it can go on display, and hopefully help sell some fabric!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It's great! But the moment I saw the picture I thought to myself, "That just doesn't look like Chris." I'm quite proud of myself for being able to recognize your style. I'm not sure I really have a style. Too much of the eclectic in my background. Does the quilt belong to you or to the shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me chuckle, Kathy! I surely is not my style, but as I mentioned, when I was done I did think it was cute. It'll be mine. The shop bought the materials, but I did the work without being paid, so when it's "shop life" is over, I'll bring it home. If I had chosen to get paid for making it (at a by-the-hour rate), it would belong to the shop.

    I took it in yesterday, and today Carolyn called to ask for the supply list as someone wanted to make one. Yay!! (The supply list is at the shop, but it's mysteriously disappeared. I'll have to go look for it tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete