Happy Monday! We had a busy and wonderful weekend with Bruder Bear and family. It was Homecoming at our local institution of higher learning, and John and Karen drove up on Friday to spend some time with son JR, a junior, and daughter Kirsten, who drove in for a visit. Reservations had been made at the Resort, which meant we got to enjoy everyone!
Saturday morning found us downtown with Ann, Eric and the boys watching the Homecoming parade. Cameron and Keaton had brought along gallon zippy bags which were soon bulging with candy. Every float, campaigning politician, and group tossed candy as they passed by and our boys were quick to gather it in. I even scooped up a caramel. Yum! The grownups clapped to the fight song, swayed to the bands (or maybe that was just me), and took turns holding a sleeping Daniel. It was a fun time.
From there, Ann and family headed off to an out-of-town soccer game and the rest of us wandered down to the Farmer's Market. Karen scored boxes of apples and peaches and a loaf of artisan bread. We were offered samples of both fruits and they were delicious. I think I'll see if they have more next weekend as I've been longing for some peach pie. And apple crisp.
BB and family went off to the football game in the afternoon, but Dan and I declined the invitation to go along. I thought some rolls sounded good and mixed up a batch to go along with our dinner of ham and au gratin potatoes. The gang rolled back in about six-thirty, accompanied by JR's friend, Jill, and Kirsten's friend, Tim. We enjoyed an evening of visiting and a raucous game of spoons.
Following Sunday morning breakfast, a trip to a local sporting goods/hardware/kitchen store, and lunch, everyone piled into their respective vehicles and headed off for a day of driving, or in JR's case, a day of studying at the library. We pointed out to him that all of us had lived through our days of drudgery and were still alive, but that's small comfort to him right now, I'm sure. And thus ended another wonderful family weekend. Thanks, guys!
For Sunday breakfast, I mixed up a batch of blueberry muffins and scrambled some eggs with ham. I hadn't made the muffins in a while and I had forgotten how yummy they are. Here's the recipe:
Sweet Blueberry Muffins
Batter:
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Crumbs:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
6 Tbs butter
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of cinnamon
To prepare batter, combine eggs, milk and oil in measuring cup. In separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir wet ingredients into dry until just moistened. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into 24 greased muffin cups (I used my jumbo muffin pans and made twelve).
To prepare crumbs, crumble all ingredients together (I end up using my fingers) and sprinkle over each cup of batter. I pressed the crumbs down lightly before baking.
Bake at 400 (jumbo 425) for 20-30 minutes. (The time difference depends on muffin size and whether or not your blue berries are frozen.)
This recipe could easily be halved for a smaller batch. Enjoy!
What a wonderful weekend you had! No wonder you call it the resort! The muffin looks good enough to eat. I love blueberries but seldom buy them. (Anything sold by the cup I usually avoid.) However, I might have to try your recipe.
ReplyDeleteSo much to say! First, big props for the LINK to the roll recipe. Second, who doesn't love a good farmer's market? Yum to apple crisp! Third, thanks for the blueberry muffin recipe. We'll have to try that when the fam is together. AND finally, where did you go on your drive?
ReplyDeleteHallie, you're so right about the farmer's market. We have a great one here, so much fun to look and prowl.
ReplyDeleteAnd oops on my posting--John and family were the only ones who drove. I should have been more clear and said guests instead of everyone. John and Karen headed home to Burley and Kirsten to the Tri-cities.
Hmmmm -- Hallie and Nick are coming today. Maybe I should add blueberries to my shopping list. I doubt we can successfully substitute elderberries in the blueberry muffin recipe.
ReplyDeleteKathy, you may already do this, but when I buy blueberries, I rinse them and then put them in a pan in a single layer and freeze for an hour or so. Then I put the frozen berries in a container--they're like frozen marbles. When I need berries, they are easy to pour out in the amount I need, and I just pop the rest back in the freezer.
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing with red and green peppers. I buy them when they're a good deal, wash and slice into strips, freeze, and put into bags. So easy to get a handful out for stir fries or whatever.
Thanks for the tip. I actually froze raspberries by that method last summer. I never thought of freezing peppers, but that would be handy because we're pepper fans.
ReplyDelete