Today has been a rainy, dark, and cozy day. Fall. I love it. And it's a good thing, because the rest of this day has been crazy!
I took my beloved Bernina 830, Moby Stitch, in for its yearly checkup, or as my friend CJ calls it, its spa treatment. I dropped it off before we went to Bruder Bear's, and yes, that was the middle of August. Poor Sam, the tech, encountered difficulties installing new updates Bernina recommended. Long story short, I finally got it back yesterday. Last night, I set it up and started to stitch. Uh oh. The touch keys wouldn't work. Finally, I discovered that if I touched them way up on the top, they would. Strange. And disconcerting. I left several messages on Sam's cell and continued to tinker with Moby with varying success.
This afternoon I decided to give it another try. More problems, bobbin thread showing, which I remedied by filling bobbins with the same thread as the top. It stitched beautifully that way, but then more problems! It has an automatic threader but the button for it ceased to work. Arrgghh!!
Sam called to say he'd talked to Bernina today and they'd told him how to reset the screen. He came for a house call tonight. Alas, poor Moby seems to have had a nervous breakdown and wouldn't even let Sam into the machine setup. He thinks one of those big ribbon-like sets of wires that plug in must have come loose, so he'll come back tomorrow with all his anti-static mats and equipment and break into Moby and hopefully be able to fix it all. I'm hoping Moby doesn't need a complete brain transplant (motherboard). Oh the joys of computerized machinery. So wonderful when it works, so frustrating when it doesn't.
I keep telling myself it's just a machine that's sick, not someone I love. And it's true. In the scheme of things, this is just a little annoyance and will eventually be resolved.
Meanwhile, here's a picture of a little wall quilt I made last fall and forgot about until I found it last week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love the wall quilt -- so cute! Is it hanging in your kitchen?
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your 830. It's true that we have to keep these things in perspective. Still, the problem is something you have to work through. So true what you said about the computer, and what isn't a computer these days?
I've thought about upgrading my 430, and I haven't ruled it out, but tell you what -- when I sit down to my mending or my doll clothes, I couldn't be happier with this little machine. I tell you that because you recommended it. :)
Sam came last night, worked and worked, and still couldn't get into the service mode, so he took Moby home with him. He was one pretty dejected guy when he left. He said he was calling Bernina today. Meanwhile, I set up my old Brother ULT and will use it. I just need to embroidery!!!
ReplyDeleteKathy, I'm so happy you love your machine! Give her a pat from me. :-)
Any news on Moby? You are so lucky to have Sam to make the calls and work through the issues. Machine embroidery affirms us so well. We get early returns on creative efforts. I was just admiring the pumpkin designs on the Halloween / autumn aprons I made last year. Very pretty is I do say so myself. (LOL)
ReplyDeleteKathy, no word on Moby as of yet. Sam and Karen brought me a darling fall arrangement as a consolation. And you are so correct about how machine embroidery gives us creative rewards. Glad you're enjoying your aprons!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I forgot to say that the little hanging is not in the kitchen; it's on the wall to the left as one goes down the stairs to the basement.