How amazing that September ends today. I remember hearing that the older you get, the faster time goes, and it certainly seems to be true.
Fall is here. I was doing some reading this morning and in my peripheral vision I could see dappled shadows around the room as sunlight filtered through the aspen trees just outside the window. I loved it! This afternoon there is much smoke all around; farmers must be burning their fields. The smoke, combined with the shadows and the slowly turning leaves brings a feeling of comfort and security. Time to finish up chores and start planning for the coming winter.
Dan has been busy getting wood, splitting, and stacking it. Some of it has been rather damp, so he's spread it out over the lower yard where the sun can dry it. So much work for something that will be gone--in a puff of smoke! This wood will certainly have warmed him several times over before it vanishes in our stove.
Meanwhile, Buddy the cat has spent the day curled up in the recliner. This time of year the nights are perfect for prowling and then he spends the day recovering from his hunting expeditions. The mice are few in our neighborhood any more.
Buddy came to us one weekend more than eight years ago. We have no idea where he came from, but for days when I came home from school, there he would be in the corner of the porch. Finally, knowing full well what we were doing, we fed him. He's been a part of the family ever since. Living as we do just out of town, we occasionally had mice, but no more! Even the neighbors have remarked on it. He's done his job well, so I guess he deserves his days in the chair.
Take a cue from Buddy and spend an hour now and then this fall in a lovely little nap. You'll feel better for it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nick is more of a cat person than I, so I called him over to view this blog. "That's a nice kitty," he commented with approval.
ReplyDeleteOkay -- if I have to I'll finish the chores. (LOL)
ReplyDeleteI remember Mother saying that time seems to drag for children while adults lament that time flies. However, some years back someone remarked to me that her 5-year-old complained of not enough time. She stated that was a sad commentary on our busy-ness today -- that even youngsters notice that there isn't enough time.
We so enjoy your posts. I'm going to print the one about Dan for my file.
Hallie, I'm glad Nick approves. :-) He is a nice kitty. I've never had a cat before, just dogs, but Dan's family always had cats.
ReplyDeleteAnd Kathy, yes, you have to finish the chores. LOL Your comment about a child wishing for more time reminds me of students I had whose lives were just endless chains of events. "Family meals" were picked up in drive-thru's on the way to soccer or basketball, or music lessons. Homework was done in back seats of mini-vans or on bleachers as they found the time. Thankfully, this wasn't true for all my students.
And thanks for the sweet comment on my posts.
Things weren't always great at my house when my children were teenagers. But often what saved the situation was the habitual sit-down meal at dinnertime. I never had to say that I expected them home for dinner -- they knew it was expected. The same for bedtime. While I agree that children should be busy, I think we're overdoing the competitive group activities. I have no answers, but I can tell you that I would come unglued if I tried to keep the schedule of one busy family I know.
ReplyDelete