I often mention that Dan is out of town working. For a "retired" person, he's on the move quite often. So here's the deal. Following his official retirement, he started receiving calls asking for his expertise and it was just what he needed. After a few months, he decided to create his own consulting business and he was off and running. (I got to contribute by designing his letterhead and business cards. Things of beauty, I must say!)
So what does he do? Well, he's the contract Forest Pathologist for the Idaho Department of Lands, which means he presents workshops on tree diseases in different locations throughout the year, conducts field days where participants see said diseases in their actual environs, and is available for consultation when IDL foresters have questions about specific problems. He is also occasionally called upon by private companies for similar work. It's been fun for him; he says they're asking him to do the things he enjoyed the most when he worked full time.
Another aspect of his sharing has been a tie-in with the Idaho Forest Products Commission. This began when he was working full time, and has continued. They conduct two big tours a year: one for teachers in June, and one they call Miracle at Work Forest Tour for business and political leaders in September.
This year, pictures and comments by Dan have made it into print; a forestry extension field day was featured in the Coeur d'Alene paper, and the Miracle tour in The Capital Press, a west coast agricultural publication.
We were able to capture this picture from the Capital Press's website:
He says he's now waiting for a call from Letterman.
UPDATE: For those interested, click here for a link to the article in the Coeur d'Alene paper: Cd'A article
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you for explaining Dan's consulting business, Chris. Mike often asks me what Dan's work entails, and I say, "I don't know. He consults." When his visit with Letterman is scheduled, be sure to let us know. (Otherwise I'm sure I'd miss it.)
ReplyDeleteVery cool! What an amazing thing that Dan gets to focus on the work that is most rewarding to him.
ReplyDeleteKathy, when the call from Letterman comes, I'm certain you'll hear about it. LOL!! And now you can direct Mike to this post and he'll know what Dan does.
ReplyDeleteHallie, how well you stated it: he gets to focus on the work most rewarding to him. It's been a gift and he's thankful. And he even gets paid for doing it! :-)
Just added an update to the post with a link to the Cd'A paper article. (There will be no quiz!)
ReplyDeleteWow, dad is so famous! Very cool that they did an article about what he was talking about. I've wondered what he does when he goes up there.
ReplyDeleteHe's Extreemely knowledgeable!
ReplyDeleteAnn, love the tree in the middle!! I get it! :-)
ReplyDelete