... are one of my favorite reading pleasures. Over the years, I've added quite a few to the several I had when we got married. There are some I've made many meals from, and others I've only read but never "used" in the sense of actually cooking a recipe from them. They're inspirations, I guess you could say. I often take a cookbook to bed to read before falling asleep. Anyone else do that?
Suffice it to say, over the years my collection has grown. When we were first married, I used part of a shelf over the daybed that was our sofa in our 8x35' trailer. In our next homes, they sat in a corner on the counter. Fast forward a few years and I had them on a small bookcase Dan made, which worked perfectly for a short time. All of a sudden, I had too many to fit, and I was forced to decide which stayed in the kitchen and which were shuffled to bookcases in the basement. Not a really good solution.
Last year, in the fall, I told Dan that the only thing I wanted for Christmas was a new bookcase for my cookbooks. He agreed to make one and we measured and plotted. I had very specific instructions. He got a small start before Christmas, but then other things intervened. He was able to get back to it this summer, and today was its grand entrance!!
Note the red bow on the top!!
Here's how it looks inside:
Room to spare!! The little drawer at the top left? It's for bills! Now when they come in, we can just pop them in there, and find them. All in one place, mixed in with nothing else! Yay!
This blurry picture is what I used to have (I didn't realize it was blurry and of course it's empty now, and gone, so...):
I keep going in the kitchen and looking at my wonderful new bookcase. I love it so much! The door inserts are beadboard, the knobs and hinges are pewter, and the whole thing is painted the same color as the beadboard in the breakfast nook. The shelf heights are made to fit my books.
Here's the final look:
I'm pretty certain there are more cookbooks lurking in the basement and when I find them, they'll get to come up to join the others in their new home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's beautiful!! Looks like something out of Pottery Barn!
ReplyDeleteChris, the cabinet is absolutely wonderful. Your comment about cookbooks in the basement reminded me of my mother's collection of cookbooks, pamphlets, kitchen appliance manuals, recipe cards, clippings, and the like stashed in a cupboard in the basement. It was a treasure trove of the retro.
ReplyDeleteI seldom read cookbooks at bedtime. I'm highly suggestible when it comes to food. I'd probably get up and raid the pantry. But I do like to read cookbooks both for the recipes and whatever general info they hold.
I know!! Didn't Dad do a great job on it?? And I found two more cookbooks! :-)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the little drawer! My dream furniture will have hidden compartments. I don't have secrets or anything, it just seems fun. Also, fabulous choice on the bead board. I pretty much like everything about this blog--including the bow on top!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I don't read books before bed, but I was searching for a recipe one afternoon while lounging on the couch and I feel asleep with the book open. Same thing?
ReplyDeleteKathy, I loved your comment about being highly suggestible and raiding the pantry! :-) And I remember going through Dan's mom's cookbooks and pamphlets after she died; a treasure trove indeed.
ReplyDeleteHallie, I'm absolutely positive your experience is the same. :-) See, reading cookbooks is highly relaxing! And I'm so glad you liked the bow and the little drawer. That Dan, he's such a sweetie to think of little "specials" like the bow, and also to accommodate his wife's special requests.
Oops, forgot the end of my last sentence--it should read: and also to accommodate his wife's special requests (the little drawer).
ReplyDeleteSay, do you have a cat or a little dog? I think I spy an animal dish next to that wonderful new book case. I don't recall reading about this family member...
ReplyDeleteBuddy, the cat. I have pondered writing about him, but haven't thus far. Perhaps I should. Stay tuned! :-)
ReplyDeleteI have been wondering -- since this was your present for last Christmas, did Dan give you a "consolation gift" at Christmas because you had to wait? Actually I think he did admirably well to complete the cupboard within a year. Time to get him started on this year's gift.
ReplyDeleteKathy, I did get other gifts from Dan. :-) And as far as this year's gift, well, we're planning to do some major work on the house, so custom presents are out for now. He's been out of town this week, will be home next, and then another week of work (but probably home at night). Some other things will take up some more time, but hopefully in mid October we'll be able to get started.
ReplyDeleteMike and I don't care much about custom gifts for each other. Accomplishing together -- or for one another -- makes for great happiness.
ReplyDeleteKathy, I think I wasn't clear on my last message. I should have said *custom-made* gifts (like the cookbook cupboard) are out this year because he won't have time to work on them. :-) (You mentioned that it was time to get him started on this year's gift.)
ReplyDelete