I should be dusting, but I'm taking a quick break. (Everyone in my family knows how much I hate to dust so it's not surprising I'm taking a break!) After I dust, I need to vacuum, and I readily admit, I'm not that fond of vacuuming, either. But hey, I'm a great straightener!! My house always looks neat, it's just not necessarily, um, spotless.
Yesterday Dan did a lot of work on the yard, and I was even lured out to do a little. What a beautiful day! The pruners were out, and pruning is one thing I really enjoy doing, so I whacked away at some of the trees and had a great time. I'd probably be ruthless with a chain saw, but somehow I don't think I'm going to try one. I did mention to Dan that an old apple tree and a shrub were good candidates for his skills, however.
Meanwhile, in the sewing room I just finished quilting another Yellow Brick Road lap quilt and I'm reading to start binding it. I so enjoyed the one I made for baby Grant that I decided to make another, just for fun. I've had the fat quarters for ages, and I actually found some fabric at the shop that would work for the borders. (Note to self: when picking up fat quarters for a quilt, think about the borders! It's not easy to find something to match six years down the road!!)
I should be able to finish it this week and I'll post a picture of the whole quilt when I'm done.
And now, back to work. Niece Kirsten booked a room for tonight here at the resort as she has a wedding to attend this evening. I'd better get busy so she doesn't think her aunt is a complete slacker.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm just learning to prune. As you may remember, Mom and Dad let me practice some skills on the pear tree last fall. I was worried about the timing, but I hear the tree is looking very healthy.
ReplyDeleteLooks like that will be a very nice quilt!
The sneak peek at the new quilt is tantalizing, Chris. I like the colors.
ReplyDeleteHallie, I'm not much of a yard person. I do like to mow, but our yard is so huge we have a riding lawnmower. I've used it a bit, but I'm not really comfortable with it. Pruning is my thing! Instant results! Sounds like we both have "the gift." :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks to both of you for the quilt compliments. It's been fun to do and I'm looking forward to putting the binding on and seeing the final results. I *think* I got a good match for the borders, but the proof will be when it's all done and I can see the whole thing all laid out.
It's of some comfort to me to know that you aren't quite sure about the border. I don't feel so insecure about my fabric choices if I know experienced sewists are also vulnerable. Another quilting friend said she bought fabric in a variety of blues that she thought would work together -- and they didn't.
ReplyDeleteAnd I forgot to say that I believe people who can keep a straight house have won the major part of the battle. I struggle with that.
I'm glad I could be of some comfort to you, Kathy! I'm working on the binding and contrary to my usual M.O., I'm not using the same fabric as the outer border--I'm using the fabric I used for a small inner border, and I think it's helping pull the whole quilt together. Note the word "think". :-)
ReplyDeleteAs to the house, I just can't function in a mess for long--I Must Have Order! I don't know whether it's a gift or a curse, but I am who I am. (Meanwhile, I'm reminded of a comment by Erma Bombeck: "If your kids write their names in the dust, don't let them put the year." That would be me--or at least the month.