Well, what have I been up to lately? Usually January is knitting month, but not this year. I pondered a new project, but then declined. I've been back at my counted cross stitch. Apparently cross stitching is having a big moment. Maybe the virus? At any rate, it's a big deal crafting wise, and there are all kinds of related things tied to it. Flosstubes? What in the world? Turns out it's videos on YouTube featuring ladies who stitch, either professionally or just for fun, or both. I've finally watched one or two. Interesting, but I don't think I'm signing up for the full stitch deal.
What's that you ask? Well, pricey fabrics to stitch on. Hand dyed flosses, some in silk. Fancy ways to store your flosses for the project you are working on. Oh, and project bags to store your in-progress works. I kinda feel old school with my old tin box filled with envelopes marked on the front (some in my daughter's middle school handwriting) with the color number. And I haven't spent $10 for a magnetic needleminder as running my needle through a corner of the (not pricey) fabrics works just fine. As a matter of fact, I think I'm taking perverse pleasure in my old school ways.
On the other hand, I have found some lovely ways to finish my work and that pleases me. There are some very clever and talented people out there and I'm so happy they are sharing their talents. I have been stitching the Prairie Schooler yearly Santas for years. I framed four of them years and years ago and now have eight, almost nine that are stitched but homeless. They deserve to see the light of day for the two months of the year that my house is decorated for Christmas. Ideas are forming!
This first one is now finished.
And this one below is now in process (note needle stored in upper left corner).
I love the colors used in them and I think of them more as St. Nicholas's rather than Santas, regardless of their titles. (Rest assured, the one just above will have two arms when done!)
And other than the usual home chores, that's what I've been up to lately! ♥


Some years back, I dabbled in counted cross stitch. Somewhere I have an unfinished piece as well as several in waiting. However, if the design is complicated, it's difficult to follow the chart and the cloth. I pretty much gave it up.
ReplyDeleteThat said, your St. Nicholases are so cute -- and so you -- a great winter project.
Following the chart can be hard. I've been known to enlarge some of them, and I know some people who color the charts to match the floss colors and that helps. I pretty much stick to small things like my beloved St. Nicholases. Ann did a huge Precious Moments Noah's Ark before Cameron was born and I'm still in awe of it!
Delete