Monday, January 18, 2021

Phones

Waaay back in the last century, when I was young, as in a child, homes had one centrally located black phone, usually in the kitchen, which was attached to the wall.  I did know a family or two who had a desk phone, also located near, if not in, the kitchen.  The handset was attached to the base by a cord, so the user was limited to a few square feet around the phone when using it. Pulling up a kitchen chair or stool while conversing was helpful in long conversations.  And long distance? Only for special occasions or emergencies.  

I remember our first cordless phone, probably fifteen or so years into our marriage.  Oh the convenience!  I could wander, sit on the sofa, stir the soup.  Amazing!!  And then we got an answering machine! (This was before all the pesky robo-calls and what we call "spam" calls. . .) 

And now?  Most everyone is getting rid of those "land lines" and going to cell phones.  Talk about portable!  Anywhere we go, not just at home. Voice mail, texting, and even the internet at our fingertips! Even calls across the globe! Things the little girl at 5491 could never have imagined.  

Which brings me to this Christmas.  Dan and I both got new phones.  Apple iPhones.  We've been Android for years, thanks to Keaton and Eric gifting us with their phones when they upgraded some years ago.  They were getting old, though, and some apps were super slow in loading.  Eric kept saying we needed new phones but Dan and I waffled, not wanting to have to make decisions on what to buy.  So, Ann and Eric took matters into their own hands and moved us into a new age. Thankfully they both have iPhones now and were able to set us up, even to transferring all our info from old phones to new.  

So, I am the proud owner of a beautiful new white iPhone.  Knowing us well, they picked a simple model and we're adjusting pretty quickly.  When I can't figure something out, I've learned to say, "Hey Siri, how do I . . . " and she leads me to the answer.  Amazing!!

Here is my new toy. 

I ordered a clear case with shiny red edges so I could see that pretty white back which I love.  ♥

7 comments:

  1. Cool! What fun! New iPhones all ready to go!

    2871 remembers 5491. And then the phone company messed with us and changed all the numbers. I well remember your phone on the wall in the kitchen. Ours was on a special telephone table and stool just outside the kitchen door. Eventually there was an extension in the master bedroom, and then my dad had an extension in his studio.

    It's different now, though. For those who still try to maintain a landline, the customer service is terrible. Seems like the phone company isn't updating the old infrastructure. The wave of the future is upon us.

    Thanks for a fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom was so upset when they changed the numbers. They'd had the same one since they were married and she considered it a personal affront that someone else would get it. I still don't know whey they couldn't just assign the same last four digits, but I guess it would have taken some time and $$ to do it.

      Delete
  2. I was upset with that change, too, but my parents seemed to take it in stride. Yesterday as I commented here I couldn't remember the new number, but it came to me later -- 4131. I dialed it many times, but clearly it wasn't as ingrained in my psyche as 2871.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two had it SO easy! I had to memorize seven digits for all my friends. ;P Congratulations on the new phone!

      Delete
    2. When Chris and I were little, it was just four numbers, but eventually, while we were still young, we had to add a "2" -- GR2-2871. (GR for "Granite.") And then, when we were in college, the system changed.

      I used to know lots of phone numbers -- Chris, my grandfather, all my sisters, the farm, etc. You had to carry those in memory. Today, I know no one's number except mine and Mike's. We don't need to with contact numbers in our phones.

      Delete
    3. Which is actually a scary thing if you were ever without the phone and in a situation where you need to contact someone. It’s not like you can call an operator or look in a phone book.

      Delete
    4. You're so right, Hallie! There are no pay phones any more, and if you need to borrow a phone, you won't be able to find the number you need to call. I'm now thinking I need to make a list of people's numbers and keep it in my purse!

      Delete