Saturday, January 16, 2021

And the Tree Comes Down

Yes, I mean the Christmas tree.  We don't usually put up the tree until a week or less before Christmas although all the rest of the house is decorated.  I love the lights in the dark days of the end of December and the beginning of January when we need cheering after the hubbub of the holidays. 

So, today was the day.  I said goodbye to the tree last night and thanked it for being such a lovely one. Longtime readers will know that I always do that.  And it was a beautiful tree although its shape was quite a different one.  Not so tall and quite wide, although it is taller than it looks.  


It was perfect for hanging lots of ornaments, but not for garlands.  It would have looked like a balloon with ruffles.  It was a very sturdy tree and took even heavy ornaments well.  We had our usual mishmash of elegant and goofy.  Treasured and just fun.  Some go back to Dan's and my childhood and then our first years of marriage and ones the kids made when very small, like a red walnut with just a few lingering pieces of glitter. See, treasures!  

It's been the perfect day to take it down--blue sky and sunshine.  We opened the slider and as Dan cut off the branches, I carried them across the deck and tossed them over the side.  We vacuumed up the fallen needles and now he's watching the Packers play football and I'm about to take a little nap.  ♥

4 comments:

  1. I enlarged the picture of your tree so that I could admire it. The ornaments, gathered over time, do become treasures. They are old friends.

    It's interesting that every tree has its own personality -- tall and skinny, short and full, lots of hang-down spaces or none at all. I'm just happy to be able to have a tree at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right--every tree has its own personality. This tree took so many ornaments but we've had some that just couldn't. No enough as you say, "hang-down spaces." There are ornaments you made me when we were in high school as well as the ones you gave me that had been your mom's.

      Delete
    2. Yes, we made ornaments, and we bought ornaments. They could be had a department stores and even our hometown Hardware. It's different today, though occasionally I find one or two that take my fancy. Mostly I avoid looking because I don't need more.

      Delete
    3. That officially signals the new year in my book. P.S. You have a beautiful inlay in your wood floor.

      Delete