Tuesday, January 26, 2021

When Technology Fails

Saturday night both Dan and I were on our computers, on the internet, when WHAM, we weren't.  We are at the end of the cable line, our source for our high-speed internet (our only source due to the location of our house), so it happens occasionally.  Usually we wait a while and it comes back.  So we waited.  And finally went to bed.  We checked again in the morning before we went to church, but alas, no internet.  And none when we returned.  We were also without land-line service for our phone.  Thank goodness for our new phones!

It's amazing how often a need arises to check on something.  What is so and so up to on their blog?  What are the words to that song?  And where can I find the wooden plaque that stitcher used to frame her cross stitch (just what I was looking up when the internet went down)?

We tried rebooting our modem numerous times and after a phone call with Eric, we finally were moved to call our carrier.  I will say that Spectrum, our provider, has always been very helpful, and once again they were.  I spent considerable time with a real person who was patient as he asked us to try several different things.  Finally realizing that it was indeed the modem and that it had died, he set us up with an appointment the very next morning (Monday). Couldn't ask for better than that!

The technician arrived shortly before ten, installed the new modem, and was done before ten-thirty.  We were back in business!!  

Meanwhile, I'm deep into taking down all the remaining Christmas decorations.  Yes, I know it's January 26th.  I read a recent comment by a Norwegian lady who said her mother always kept her things up for twenty days after Christmas, and that her mother-in-law kept hers up until Candlemas (had to look that up), so I guess it's the Norwegian in me that keeps things up to long.  I've been vindicated!!

6 comments:

  1. I remember stopping by your house once in the 90s and you mentioned something about your son using the phone line for his computer. It was the first time I ever heard anything about this "Internet" that would take over our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that we don't have to use the phone line any more. THAT was not a perfect world.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the internet has surely taken over our lives! Often for good, but sometimes not so much. And Kathy, you're correct--connecting over the phone line was not perfect. It seemed that whenever I was on the internet and then signed off, someone would call and complain that they'd been trying to get a hold of me and that the phone had been busy. Don't miss that!

      Delete
    3. And it worked the other way, too. I would want to make a call while someone was on the computer. So glad to have moved beyond that!

      Delete
  2. I would not put my Christmas decorations away so soon except that someone here begins to ask when I plan to take them down. And we really don't have the room. I still have a few things out.

    Yes, we are dependent on this technology which at times seems rather fragile. I don't enjoy talking to techs (or anyone) about technology. I just don't speak that language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy on the phone was very patient and was actually here in America with an American voice, which was amazing!!

      Delete